CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Motorhome or Toy hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorhome or Toy hauler?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: DesertViper
Toyhaulers are great if you are going to be arriving at your destination in one days travel time, otherwise you have to unload the ATVs in order to fold down the beds for sleeping room. With a motorhome and enclosed trailer you never have to unload your ATVs at the campground.
WRONG

Click here to see
Little bigger than 28ft but still cheaper than a motorhome and a whole bunch more room.
Full pic

Old 03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

MOTORHOME!!!!! If mama is happy everybody else is happy!!!!! Nothing like kicking back after a day of riding with everything you have at home. Home cooked meals there and back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We have nice parking in Or. that makes it nice also.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sandbomber that aint no ****, gotta keep mama happy. I've got a MH in the not to distant future.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

There are pros and cons to both rigs. most have been mentioned already. For the price of a New HD truck and toy hauler you can get a used motorhome with a slide easy. Buy used you can find very clean units for half the cost of new. I have a motorhome with trailer and that works for me the best. My riding buddies have toy haulers and they work great for them. How much storage space do you have at your house? Motorhome and trailer take up more space. Also you have to worry about another drive train. If you have a truck for a daily driver a toy hauler might make more sense in that case. Motorhome are a lot nicer inside. If you are only going to sleep in it and spend most of your time around the camp fire Haulers are great or if you go with more than four people. More than four people in a motorhome gets tight.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dser
Toyhaulers are great if you are going to be arriving at your destination in one days travel time, otherwise you have to unload the ATVs in order to fold down the beds for sleeping room. With a motorhome and enclosed trailer you never have to unload your ATVs at the campground.
WRONG

Click here to see
Little bigger than 28ft but still cheaper than a motorhome and a whole bunch more room.
Full pic
With the risk of getting off topic....

You say "a little bigger than 28ft"...???? Are you kidding? That things like 40ft plus!!!
"A little bigger" deserves a [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And... if you recall, he said his wife didn't want to tow... or preferred not to. So, something of that distance in total length would just be out of the question... don't ya think?? Or, were ya just trying to show off your rig?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keep the Wife Happy!!!

I've got an Excursion and a Weekend Warrior 2200FT (Front Tilt-out). I'm looking to go bigger as I just keep getting more toys and the rig isn't big enough to haul them all!

For a rig. . . go with one of the Turbo Diesel models. The first time you go over the pass you'll just love the power of the diesel.

The Excursion tows great and with the 44 gallon tank, I'm looking for empty water bottles in the rig to "recycle" on the spot!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] between stops while most of my buddies with their 26 gallon tanks have to stop.

But, I can see the day when a new set-up will come our way. The question. . . 5th wheel or Motor home and trailer???

IF I go motor home I'll have to go diesel pusher and I'll want a stacker trailer. There are some amazing stacker trailers out there. . . .

But, I don't have the money for that kind of purchase so, I will probably go with the truck and 5th wheel.

For me. . . I'ld rather drive with toothpicks in my eyes than be a passenger with my Wife driving. Not saying she isn't a good driver, I'm just better in that seat than out of it. Control freak, ants in the pants, etc.

If I end up with the Motorhome, the Excursion will go and I won't have a tow vehicle. The only thing I need it for is the trailer so, can't really say it is an extra engine / drive train. The Excursion sits between trips the same way a Motorhome would.

Don't know if I helped you at all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

The lil' woman likes to shop, and before the sand bug bit, it was a simple matter to drag a wrangler behind the Aerbus 3250 slider. Find a site, and away she could go in the toad headin' for the nearest outlet stores. After being introduced to the pleasures of atv's & sand, we tried pulling a box trailer w/toys instead of the toad. Worked okay for awhile, but got tired of not having a convenient set of wheels to head to town with. Was never any fun getting stuck, either! Threw in the towel, sold the mh, and got a f350 psd 4x4 crew cab short box, and a Tahoe Transport 27TB (31') fw. Seems to be working out good, can go where we want, still have access to kitchen/bathroom/bedroom with toys loaded, and have wheels to roam when camp is set up. MH advantages: creature comfort, ease of box trailer pull. MH disadvantages: fuel economy, loss of toad, additional drivetrain maintenance, registration/insurance costs. FW advantages: fuel economy, power, ramp room makes up for no slider, use of facilities when loaded, go where you want to, and have wheels when you get there. FW disadvantages: riding in a pickup for long periods (bothers the wife more than me, I do all the driving), not as plush as a MH.
All in all, it comes down to your personal preferences. If you spend a lot of time at camp setting in an rv, then a MH will be more comfortable. Today's toyhaulers provide a wide selection of goodies, including on-board gensets, ac, on-board fuel stations, and large tanks. It's basically a matter of trade-offs, and the nice thing is that you really can't go wrong either way!

Have fun with your choices, and remember that it's all good!!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime
Originally posted by: Dser
WRONG

Click here to see
Full pic
With the risk of getting off topic....

You say "a little bigger than 28ft"...???? Are you kidding? That things like 40ft plus!!!
"A little bigger" deserves a [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And... if you recall, he said his wife didn't want to tow... or preferred not to. So, something of that distance in total length would just be out of the question... don't ya think?? Or, were ya just trying to show off your rig?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Sorry Johnny but that is a 36 1/2 ft Raptor made by Keystone. Go to their website and check it out. Not showing off just showing that you don't have to take the toys out to sleep in it. Read the thread that I replied too and you may understand. Sheez what a drama queen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
At best you will use the rig once a month average. So for the rest of the time what would you rather have sitting on the driveway? A 40,000 dollar Toyhauler or a 80,000 dollar motorhome. You can't count the truck because it is used all year as a second vehicle. I have had 7 different RV's in the last 12 years. The fifth wheel has got to be the easiest thing to Drive/Tow yet. When I'm pulling it I sometimes forget that it is back there. No sway like a motohome.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Man this is a good Thread!! Everyone has some great insights here!!

I cant say much different pro or con but I will say this.
My vote goes to the truck trailer combo. For all the reasons posted before. BUT make sure if you choose this setup that you match your truck and trailer. This is the biggest problem with people on the road today TOO MUCH trailer for their truck. Dont listen to the salesman , hell they will try to sell you a 40' triple slideout with built in jacuzzi and tell you your 3/4 ton should do just fine....NOT!!!
I have a F250 Super Duty 4x4 with the 7.3 and a 6 speed hand shaker, I tow a 29' Rampage 5th wheel that when loaded down is 11,500 +/-. That about the limit that you can tow if not just a bit over by Fords recomendations. It tows like a champ! Sure you can tow more with it but can ya stop it in a pinch ?? Most of the heavy duty trucks these days can do more that they are rated for but safety becomes compromised. Do your homework if you choose this rout. Just keep this in mind.. IF you were to get into an accident while towing and you were overweight youll loose and become liable. Its just not worth it.
If you get The motorhome all youll need to know is the maximum towing capacity and do your math from there ! Box trailer 3000# + 1500# quads + 250# fuel + 200 misc gear = 5000# +/-.
Moterhome should handle that right ?? Do those numbers sound right ??

Now at the sake of sounding harsh I have to say this ... MOST women will drive the rig once or twice and never really feel comfortable driving either setup. I know very few woman that will or want to drive and even fewer that I would ride with. Mama will be happy to play Martha Stewart decorating the new home and spending your money doing it ! Driving the rig is the guys job and it even says so on the back of your Man Card. My wife can and does drive from time to time but only short distances for now and when she warms up to it she can drive a whole trip. My point is ** IF ** she is like the majority of the ladies out there , their fascination with driving a "big rig" will be short lived and for that reason your selection should not be based on their comfort of manuvering 10 tons down the road. If your wife is one of the few troupers out there then she will learn how to drive damn near anything with some loving guidance and patience.

Quick Reply: Motorhome or Toy hauler?