CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

saint anthony's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saint anthony's?

the more reserch i do on our trip out west tells me that maybe going to little sahara utah then going to saint anthony might be a mistake? sounds like saint anthony is where we should spend the whole week? comments like little sahara is like a sand box compaired to saint anthony, and that saint anthony's has bigger bowls and much taller dunes(an just maybe more fun) than glamis? at 4000' it is much cooler in the summer and has less traffic with smoother sand.
now i'm not sure where to spend the bulk of our trip we could have a couple extra days riding if we just go to saint anthony[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] input please!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

ive never been to utah,but evryone ive talked too that has been to all the dunes say st.a is the place to be.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

Well I live about right about half way between both and would have to say that I would spend most of the time up in Idaho at St. Anthonys. It would be worth a few days riding at little saraha as there is more area to ride and the mountain is pretty fun to race at but I would spend the majority of the time riding the HUGE bowls and dunes up there at St. Anthonys. Check out this site it has alot of good info on both places. Oh and that is me on the DS on the front page and our group in the top right corner. Dune Review

Old 04-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Range Rover
Default saint anthony's?

Man! dont you just hate the choices you gotta make sometimes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have been facing the same dilema. We are spending two days three nights at LS and 3 days 4 nights at St A's at the end of June. The way I look at is you have to try both, otherwise you will never know for yourself and you will always be wondering.

Just ride!

Old 04-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

Last summer. . . Oregon
This Summer. . . St. Anthony
Summer 2006. . ??? (Utah???)

When you going Jeff? I think we will be there for a week starting July 8th-ish for the week.

We hit Glamis in Jan. . . have done the MLK weekend there the last three years.

Hit Dumont for Thanksgiving a couple years ago. . . hope to do it again this Thanksgiving. . . we'll see.

Pismo and Sand Mt., NV are home turf. . .

So, where to go next?????

Old 04-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

Saint Anthonys is better. The problem is when most come to LS, Utah Sand Mtn is so over whelming due to it's pure size that people really don't bother to explore the whole area. They spend 50% of the time on the hill 20% on the big bowls and the other 30% gets wasted. Many many great area's then the Sand Mtn area. The dunes are about 9 miles long, but most people see the mile or two by Sand Mtn and that's it.. Sad but True...

Old 04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

I have been to both and went back to Utah before going back to St. Anthony's. I love Little Sahara Utah, its different but awesome. St. Anthony's has the best bowls to be found anywhere no doubt, but Utah has its share of bowls, and the riding on the chain of sand mountains is awesome, plus lots and lots of sand trails thru the brush. And shooting the mountain at night, well that's just downright breathtaking. Little Sahara Utah is 60,000 acres, 100 square miles, its hardly a sandbox.
I am going back to St. Anthony this June, can't wait for the killer bowls.
I can't pick a favorite between the two, they are both awesome for different reasons.
Jeffroe you're traveling so far, you might as well hit them both unless you are planning on heading out west again soon after. I will never let a year pass without heading west, its spectacular!

pics of both http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/index.php

Old 04-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Range Rover
Default saint anthony's?

I would say St As for a solid week...but those pics of LS are very compelling.

Is LS always kinda damp? Seems like a lot of dark tracks in most of the sand pics. St As was fresh sand everywhere for the week I was there (July 04).

>>60,000 acres, 100 square miles

sums up the next area I need to recon.

--

Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

Actually in those sahara pics the sand is very very dry, but the tracks show until the winds blows them over, they don't disappear as easily as they do in Idaho, the sand is much different than the sand at St. anthony's, it is dustier and more powdery, not as clean.
that 60,000 acre comment I got from a BLM site, Im sure some of that is unrideable desert/sage, not sure exactly how much of that figure is dunes, but the dunes seem to be endless. I also read that St. Anthony's is 55,000 acres. They do both seem to be similair in size.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default saint anthony's?

Jeff,
If i were you, and having been to both places I'd hit Utah for 2 days, it'll probably be the only place you will be able to get the busa in 6th( on the comp hills) and then spend the balance of your trip at St. A's. Utah has awesome dunes and great trails and the best comp hill in the west, you don't want to miss it. St. A's has monster dunes at the big end of the dunes and the rides are out of this world. Hit em both and you'll have no regrets.

Quick Reply: saint anthony's?