CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

alignment specs w/ASR uppers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment specs w/ASR uppers

How did you guys set yours up? Camber,Castor, and Toe. How do you measure the Positive Castor? Is there a way you could just measre the distance front to rear between the top and bottom ball joint? The papers say 4.5 degrees. Would the steering be too heavy with more like 6 or 7 degrees? Thanks for any help.
Jamie

Old 04-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

I just put a set of ASR uppers on my DS. I set the caster at 7 degrees positive and the camber at 2 degrees negative. The toe in I set at 1/8 inch in. You will need to make sure you have the sag set first then do these adjustments with the equivalent of your weight on the DS. I may be wrong but I think the stock caster is only 4 or 5 degrees and you need more. I have heard some say that they have gone to as much as 9 degrees. With the set up above, that I have on mine, I can tell all the diffirence in the world. I ride mostly trails with some wide open areas. The DS is much quicker in the tighter turns and doesn't push. On the long open runs it is much more stable. To set the caster I put a straight edge against the upper and lower joint then used a Sears angle finder to set the degree I wanted. I did the same with the camber. I put a straight edge against the outside of the tire and used the angle finder. I know that this is the Shade Tree Mechanics way of doing it, but it is what I had and it didn't cost a arm and leg for the angle finder. If you do a search I think there were some others that also used the ASR uppers and they posted thier results. Hope this helps as this is what worked for me but you want to experiment with different settings.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

Sorry, what I refered to as an angle finder is a Sears Craftsman universal protracor part number 93984.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Very good explaination by 400EXerciser.

But I always send everyone here when it comes time to set up their ASR's http://www.lsracing.com/installguides.php?step=4&igid=5
So even though 400EXerciser gave you enough to get you through it. This will also tell you how as well as give you other camber caster settings for your type of ridding.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for the info. Thats what I needed to know.
Jamie