CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Installing gauges, need advice! (also have dummy light issue)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing gauges, need advice! (also have dummy light issue)

Thanks to countryjoeglasses, I already have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do, but thought I would post to see if anyone else has any input on mounting ideas.

I purchased the tri gauge kit from sunpro (they are 1-1/2 inch gauges, and are all mechanical) the 30 dollar kit included voltmemter/temp/oil pressure. I plan to use the Oil pressure, and the Temp guages.

I have a baja, so I have a tach on my dash. I do not have access to a machine shop, so any crazy brackets cannot be fabbed by me. I have seen how a few people have it setup (where tach is in its place, then dummy lights are moved, and the two gauges are put in its place.) I like this idea, but do not know if I would be able to mount the key on the side with much ease. DSjobber, or anyone else with the small clamp style housings, where did you get them? It would be nice to leave the stock lights/key in their position and mount a gauge on each side (left/right) but I cannot find the style of clamp I would need.

I also have a question about hooking these little guys up, because I want to run the stock dummy lights, and also the gauges. Does anyone know the exact name of the Tee's I will need to screw into the oil sensor, and the name of the tee that would go into the coolant return line? I tried searching ebay for the coolant one, with no luck.

My current problem with my dummy light is that it still does not work. I tried replacing the oil sensor itself (thank to Hightower for loaning me one to try) but that also did not work. For awhile, if I wiggled the wire coming out the back of the LED, it would flicker, which leads me to beleive that the wiring somewhere is bad. Is there an easy way to check the problem, or do I have to undo that little loom and follow it? (I was hoping someone knew exactly where that red light wire went to, so I could check both ends first, before trying to follow the wire) Also, I do not have that advanced of mechanical/electrical background (being only 19, and all the stuff I have done is self taught) What is the best way to go about checking for power at the end of the dummy light wire? Should I invest in a cheap multimeter from radioshack/menards etc?

I am hoping to have all of this ironed out in the next couple of weeks, because first thing in June is our week long trip to St.Anthonies and Little Sahara [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for your help!

*edit* looks like I need a "1/8 NPT" for the oil, but still do not know what to search on ebay to find a coolant hose TEE. Can I find that 1/8 NPT at a hardware store? (do I just ask for a 1/8 npt TEE? or will they think im crazy lol)

Old 04-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry I dont have any answers to your problem but on the question if you shoud invest in a cheap multimeter the answer is YES if you plan on doing any work on anything it will pay for itself.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

Check out www.summitracing.com or PM me and ill give you the low down. For about 70 bucks you get oil pres and water temp gauges, with all the mounting cups. Better than sunpro, quality and finish on the Autometers are phenomenol. Plus they will match your tach.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

*bump*

Old 04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

personally i'd just go wit the cheap gauges, I spent the money one a nice expensive autometer temp gauge and its broken twice on me now, for the price of shipping it to them and having it shipped back, for like the same amount i can buy a whole new cheap gauge, i spent like $20 on my oil pressure guage,

Old 04-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ya i currently have the sunpro gauges, but was considering going with the larger 2 1/16 autometer gauges just because they have the mounting cups for them.

I like the size of these sunpro gauges, but would prefer to have mounting cups for them, but I cant find them anywhere.