CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch kit

I only had problems with the shifting for about 2 weeks. It was real hard to find neutral . I am a pretty big boy and i have not had anymore problems with the barnet 9 disk clutch.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch kit

i ordered the rwr 60% springs and like you said he said to sand the steel plates before i put back together now how do i sand those plates i would really appreciate the info its my first quad so i need to know these things

Old 04-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch kit

The way i did it was i took the plate in one hand and sandpaper in the other. Fold the paper in half and put the edge of the plate between the grit part and as you pull the paper kinda of twist the paper. Go all the way around like that then turn the plate around and go the other direction. You want to make like an x pattern on the plates. Some people like to lay the plates on a piece of glass or lay the paper on the glass not sure which one but if you do it like i said you wont have any problems.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default clutch kit

Stock plates with any kind of springs wont hold our big motors. We use the Barnet 9 disc, its important to presoak the plates and set clutch lever slack. If the bike wont go into neutral easily after warmup you may be running too thick of oil. We run Klotz super techniplate full synthetic. Our new HR clutch disc and spring combo held up very well at the planet sand race. 120hp 8 paddle and 3rd gear launch!

Old 04-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch kit

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Stock plates with any kind of springs wont hold our big motors. We use the Barnet 9 disc, its important to presoak the plates and set clutch lever slack. If the bike wont go into neutral easily after warmup you may be running too thick of oil. We run Klotz super techniplate full synthetic. Our new HR clutch disc and spring combo held up very well at the planet sand race. 120hp 8 paddle and 3rd gear launch!
Eric,
What weight do you run on the Klotz oil?

Old 04-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default clutch kit

I usually run 10w-30, it pour's in like water! If I run 20w-50 the motor has to be good and warm before the shifting act's right. Keep in mind that Klotz 20w-50 is still very thin.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch kit

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Eric,

Presoak the plates with what? I'm assuming the Klotz oil.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Default clutch kit

Soak'em with whatever oil you use in the motor.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch kit

Hey crazy, The swap is really pretty simple. I myself has never did it before and done mine. All the bolts on the case and the springs torque at 89 in. lbs, Just take the old plates and steels out and stack them in the order you take them off. Replace the same way. The last friction plate goes it the shallow holes on the basket. HEy tell ya what pm me so you can call me and Ill tell you over the phone, and maybe i can help you out. Later Chiknhawk

Old 07-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch kit

MisterHP: Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be giving you a call tomorrow to talk/order the Barnett clutch kit and a gasket. As you can see in my signature, I only have a few minor mods. I bet I've only added 3 - 5 HP from stock. In a couple of years I'll probably take my machine to the next level (with your help). I was surprised to learn that my clutch actuator rack was broken (one tooth broke off) when I pulled the clutch cover off. I installed RWR 40% stiffer springs a couple of months ago. I'm curious as to why the tooth would have broken off. See link for details. I assume I have to order the actuator rack from my local dealer.

With three little girls at home, I only get out to ride about 3 - 4 days per month. I bet I've changed the oil every 10 - 15 hours since I bought her in August 2004. My machine is very clean and well taken care of. I've been using Valvoline motorcycle oil for wet clutches since my first oil change.

chiknhawk: I'll send you a PM if I need to talk on the phone. I think I'm making progress.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum. It's definately taken some business away from the dealer as I've done more mechanically myself because of you guys.

Quick Reply: clutch kit