CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Aftermarket CDIs Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket CDIs Problem

Hi,

I found out that everyone that replaced is stock CDI with an "improved" one exprienced problem with starting the bike and noticed a new kind of starting noise that came form the engine.

well.... i have a "white brothers CDI" on my 2001 stock DS and after 1 month of this CDI use my starter got stacked and i discovered that 4 teeth on Intermediate Gear (11/52 Teeth) that conecting the starter to the engine are broken,
The one explantion that i can find is that the advanced timing is not opening the AFT compretion valve in time and the starter still trying to spin the engine and alot of pressre is on this gear...

What do you think ?

Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Although I can not say for sure whether your assumption is correct it sounds logical enough. This problem is the reason I spent the extra money on the Ron Woods CDI, also I like the idea of no rev limiter and I don't know of anyone who has run into this problem with these CDI's

Old 05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

Have sold many a sprag clutch&flywheels because of after market CDI boxes!!!!!

Old 05-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

The White Bros CDI box for the DS is a retagged Procom - FYI

Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

Just had that problem happen to me. An alba cdi though. Cost me 400$ had to get my starter teeth machined, new gears that connect the starter to the fly wheel and a new sprag gear. Now all that came out of my pocket, i though alba might stand behind it but no!

Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

I was told that alba, white bro and biggun are all rebadged procomms. That makes sense to me.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Well "KNOCK on wood!!! I had no problems with mine from Procom, now the rectifire is another story!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I purchased a Big Gun Over Rev CDI after speaking to a Big Gun Rep. He assured me that the Big Gun is not a Procomm copy and that the Big Gun CDI is made specifically to their specifications. In addition he said you will find no other supplier who will unconditionally warranty their CDI for 1 full year as they do. I have yet to run the CDI because I'm changing cams and piston but I will certainly be the first to blow the horn on Big Gun if I end up having problems as well.....I will let everyone here know soon.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Scoundrel,

I know that the Big Gun DS CDI used to be manufactured by Procom and might still be. I know for a fact that the EX CDI from Big Gun is NOT a manufactured by Procom. Given that, it is possible that the DS CDI by Big Gun is made by Procom, but with a slightly different map. You and I know that sales guys can use thier words carefully - Use the bullet question, "Does Procom manufacture your CDI for you?"

By the way, many of the Procom CDI's do in fact have different timing maps for each manufacturer. Its funny when you hear the sales talk from the Procom rep, they will tell you they are EXACTLY like the Big Gun or the White Bros, but on the other side of the fence, the Big Gun or White Bros rep will say that thier map is totally proprietory and thier own.

Im not pointing fingers here, I'm just showing you what I see from 11,000 feet.

Marky

Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Scoundrel,

I know that the Big Gun DS CDI used to be manufactured by Procom and might still be. I know for a fact that the EX CDI from Big Gun is NOT a manufactured by Procom. Given that, it is possible that the DS CDI by Big Gun is made by Procom, but with a slightly different map. You and I know that sales guys can use thier words carefully - Use the bullet question, "Does Procom manufacture your CDI for you?"

By the way, many of the Procom CDI's do in fact have different timing maps for each manufacturer. Its funny when you hear the sales talk from the Procom rep, they will tell you they are EXACTLY like the Big Gun or the White Bros, but on the other side of the fence, the Big Gun or White Bros rep will say that thier map is totally proprietory and thier own.

Im not pointing fingers here, I'm just showing you what I see from 11,000 feet.

Marky

Kinda like GMC isn't a Chevy or is it Chevy isn't a GMC?.....lol

Point taken......

Oh and I did ask the bullet question "Does Procom manufacture your CDI for you?" I was told a resounding NO!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CDIs Problem