CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I think I'm done

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I'm done

I just got off the phone with my insurance claims person. They are offering $5,660 for my DS. They will send a flatbed to take it away. Or, they will cut a check for $3,600 and I keep it.
Either way the title will be scrapped.
Here is the kicker.
Back in 03, my girlfriend at the time wanted new ATV's so bad. We went to the dealer and picked out a Recon for her and the DS for me. We went to my credit union to get a personal loan. (I am a convicted felon for trafficing 16 years ago and it still looms over me and causes trouble) So everything is in her name. We bought a $10,000 CD and used it as collateral to get an $11,000 check made out to the dealer. We set up the loan to be an automatic deduction from MY account, monthly, for $190. Painless and we earn interest on the CD. So the ATV's were bought outright from the dealer and the bank has no ties to them. She has the titles.
We broke up about two months later. She was going to take the Recon and leave the DS. The moving truck was full and she decided to leave the Recon. We made up some paperwork saying I would be buying the ATV's and continue the loan payments until the loan is satisfied. THEN she would send me the titles.
The Recon was stolen. She had nothing to do with that and I still honor our agreement no matter what. I then took out an insurance policy through Progressive for the remaining DS. Now I have crashed it hard. The claims person totaled it. To get the money, I have to provide a title. Fat chance of my ex to let me use the money for anything else but the loan. This is where I am screwed.
I tried to do the right thing by getting the insurance and now I am going to loose everything and even after the $5,660 is put towards the loan, I still owe apprx. $2,500 to satisfy the loan. AND I will walk away with nothing.
I have to go to the insurance co. today and do the deal. Sucks.
So, I am out unless the insurance person can somehow work it out.
I am glad I found this site. It is the best part of owning one of these beasts, aside from riding it. I got more info here than from my dealer.
My DS was bad as hell. I took up racing hare scrambles because Floriduh sucks for ATVing anymore. I put my DS through HELL! It finally bit back.
So, I guess the mud is in my i
Thanks for all the help and laughs. Ride hard. Have fun. Be safe.
Brian Morris
Jupiter, FL

Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

Brian,

I gather your ex wouldn't give you the opportunity to use the money to re-purchase a used DS to replace the totaled one, with your assurance that you would continue to honor your contractual agreement? Maybe even half the $3,600 so you can put 1/2 on the loan and take the other half to restore your old DS?....I'm trying here I'm trying...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

Why dont you keep it and part it out ?

Old 05-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

Make sure you tell the insurance co about any mods you did to it and the cost of them. That would increase your payout. I had a streetbike stolen before and got more money from insurance co than they originally offered because I was able to show what mods I had done and how much they cost.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think I'm done

Sorry to hear that man, hope this doesn't keep you from riding perminantly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

yah no doubt keep your chin up.
youll always have us!!!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I know its not the same but when you close your eyes......... ummm.. well.... forget that part.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

mudnuri,

If I understand correctly the loan and the ATVs are all in her name? Your name isn't on either?

Why not let her have the ATVs and have the loan and she can deal with the whole matter? Its not your fault the ATVs are missing. LOL!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

well what exactly happened to your ds? i crashed mine last summer and i replaced the frame, right side a-arms, shocks, oil tank, rad, some plastic, rim, tie rod, light, bars, i bought the salvage back from my insurance company for like 500, so i don't get how they say a totaled ds is worth 2000, and is this the first offer they've given you? mine tried to offer me 3700 for my ds, we declined their offer, lol, look in the classifieds to see roughly what a ds is going for in your area,

Old 05-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

Hey mud, i am sorry to hear all the bad news. Did you get hurt in the crash? That is the most important part, I mean if you cant phsically ride any more, then let them have the quad. Your health is more important. But if you are ok take the 3600 and buy one that has a bad engine. There is one on ebay now for like 1800. Or you can just fix yours, because if your are going to keep it then who cares if it has a salvage title, Most of the time you dont even get a title when you buy one used. What I am trying to say is dont let this stop you from riding. I have a few parts you can have if it will help you get back on your feet. A complete stock exhaust, stock carb, set of back rims with 50% tread left. You are welcome to them. I am sure there are a few BROTHERS out here that will pitch in and help you out. Give me a call or pm me if you want the parts. Let me know if there is anything i can do to help. Take care of yourself. Dude even tho it bit back this time kick it in the teeth you your back on top. Later Chicknhawk

Old 05-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default I think I'm done

Hey mud you need to take a good look at your insurance policy. I was all happy about my insurance until i read the whole thing. My insurance states they will replace my bike with a new one, but in the little fine print it also states it does not cover any extra mods at all. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.