CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand Mountain - Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand Mountain - Memorial Day

We just got back last night, whew what a long and tiring trip.

Told my wife about Jeff and funny thing is we are riding way out

by the pony express troughs and who do we see there, Jeff and his friends....

We need to hook up with more people next time. We were way out by ourselves

and I now have 4 and 6 years old step sons. Too much work trying to keep

them entertained. Just glad to be home and safe.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled this off another site:

BURKE WASSON
May 31, 2005

While authorities continued to search Monday at Lake Lahontan for two victims of separate alleged drownings, a spate of accidents at Sand Mountain also kept officials busy during Memorial Day weekend.

According to Banner Churchill Community Hospital ambulance services, 13 people were reported injured at Sand Mountain between Friday and Sunday. Ten of those people were Care-flighted to hospitals in Washoe County.

Representatives for Banner Churchill Community Hospital declined to release the names of those injured or their conditions, but did say that the majority of reported injuries were related to dirt bike and all-terrain vehicle accidents.

The hospital's ambulance department had one call Friday to the recreation area. That person was Care-flighted to Washoe County.

On Saturday, the ambulance department received two calls to Sand Mountain. There were a total of four patients between those two calls - one was treated at Banner Churchill Community Hospital and three were flown to Washoe County.

The hospital's ambulance service dispatchers received six calls to Sand Mountain on Sunday. Out of those six calls, six people were transported to Washoe County, one was treated at Banner Churchill Community Hospital and one left the hospital against medical advice.

Dispatchers and representatives from the Bureau of Land Management declined to comment Monday on the reported accidents at Sand Mountain during the holiday weekend.

It was unclear if the crowd was as rowdy as Easter weekend, when BLM rangers were pelted with eggs and one BLM vehicle had a window broken.

An estimated 7,800 people flocked between Saturday and Sunday to the massive sand dune located off U.S. Highway 50 about 30 miles east of Fallon. Previous holiday weekends like Memorial Day and Labor Day have attracted closer to 5,000 people.

BLM officials have explored the idea of raising fees to camp at Sand Mountain and possibly limiting the number of people who camp there next year.

Currently, campers pay $20 to stay up to a week. A $45 annual pass is also available.

BLM officials said the fees collected to camp at Sand Mountain are not nearly enough to provide enough law enforcement, road grading, restrooms, trash service and medical emergency services.

Those medical emergency services were unfortunately used during Labor Day weekend in 2004 at Sand Mountain when a 21-year-old man died in a motorcycle accident.

Burke Wasson can be contacted at bwasson@lahontanvalleynews.com

http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/ar...310011/-1/NEWS

Old 06-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Glad to hear everyone made it home safe.

Good article.

I didn't make it but, just got a report from one of my friends that one in our group was racing up the hill to the left of comp and the guy he was racing didn't stop soon enough and superman'd off the hill. I think that was one of the life-flights! Guess his Shee was tore up down to the frame!

That hill to the left of comp can come up quickly on you so, good heads up for everyone. Don't drag that hill to the end. It's a razor on the otherside you won't land for a number of yards - I know Jeff supermaned that a few years back too! I've almost done it too!

Old 06-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

DuneMe

That was Packard's son - I dont know him, but the group I was with said that was him that did that. He was lifeflighted out, but was sitting up in bed the next day. You are right, with speeds over 90mph up that hill, the end can come up quickly and no matter how much braking is done, its not enough.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

not only was jayce packard sitting up in bed the next day, he was back at sand mt, riding a quad.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent!

Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Just noticed this topic....
It was a fun trip..lots of people there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
I was a challenge just finding my way back to camp..LOL

Good to see ya Mark & Jon....

stevendsm95gst,DSengineer,
Yea that was me and a friend racing...(sorry about the roost)....his is a Pami 760 w/NOS and mine is 830/alky w/NOS...
Wish I would have known you guys were from ATVconn,I would have said hi....

Glad Packard was OK,because I do know what is like to take flight over the top [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

There were alot of fast bikes..I saw 2 drag frame 450s,that looked pretty fast..never got a chance to race them though...
Just as the racing was getting good Saturday afternoon,went back to camp to get another bottle,and the wife was in a panic because the generator stopped working (so I spent the rest of the afternoon working on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] )
but I did make it out again, but after dark though

And yes I did miss the wet T-shirt contest,but I did see the video [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

Old 06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jeff:

Dan finally use a bottle?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How did that poor little 760 do against that mighty 830?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Missed this post. Who was the fastest DS at this event?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I hear that Jeff rules that hill, but Im interested to know aswell....???

Quick Reply: Sand Mountain - Memorial Day