CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The new ron wood "thebom" 14:1 piston!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new ron wood "thebom" 14:1 piston!!

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Here is just a little more info to add - I talked with Elliott today regarding the CP pistons they carry. Each of the CP pistons they carry, including the 14:1 piston, are made specifically for the combustion chamber of the DS650 Rotax motor. The result is a more accurate compression rating.

All aftermarket DS650 Rotax pistons with a dome (accept for Pami and TVI)are machined specifically for the combustion chamber of that motor. This not a great revelation or rocket science.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a Pami piston made by JE for my DS that has a dome machined to fit the very unique shape of my DS chamber. There are several people on this post saying that it is not really made for my bike, and comments include that its diameter is not made for my bore, and its dome is not made for my chamber.

Now without anybody getting pissy or accusing me of trying to be a pirate, can somebody please explain the true logic here so that I and the rest of the people out here who have been running JE pistons for years and years might understand, because right now this discussion is leaving some stuff out and clarification is needed.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:08 PM

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Originally posted by: shmee
it is with in 3 grams of his piston. and not to point any fingers but i heard that mrhp piston is not made for the 100mm bore. but his new one will be. and the new cp piston is as strong as the other cp's "nos"

There are no current purpose built forgings for the DS. ALL forgings being used are made for 98-102mm bore size and machined to fit the Rotax chamber.

The "mrhp" piston IS MADE for the 100mm bore but the forging is not specificlly designed for the Rotax combustion chamber just like all other forgings.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by: Hightower
I have a Pami piston made by JE for my DS that has a dome machined to fit the very unique shape of my DS chamber. There are several people on this post saying that it is not really made for my bike, and comments include that its diameter is not made for my bore, and its dome is not made for my chamber.

Now without anybody getting pissy or accusing me of trying to be a pirate, can somebody please explain the true logic here so that I and the rest of the people out here who have been running JE pistons for years and years might understand, because right now this discussion is leaving some stuff out and clarification is needed.
I wasnt aware that Pami made a stock bore piston that fits the factory chamber. All I have seen is the big bore that requires head machining. I stand corrected on the Pami stock bore.

What I am talking about is the difference between machinig a useable forging to fit the dome into the chamber vs. having a custon forging built specifically for the Rotax chamber where no extra material is waisted in the wrong locations hence a lighter weight forging.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think for the stock bore, Pami makes one that doesn't require head machine work and one that does.

For clarification, my understanding is Pami likes a tighter squish band so their piston design requires head machine work for proper clearance.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

well its now a fact the a1, .433 lift cams do clear the new 14-1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] mine is now up and running![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Is that with stock valves or oversized valves?

Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

ya big! valves.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

What carb?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

tm48

Quick Reply: The new ron wood "thebom" 14:1 piston!!