CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

need advice for new sprocket on DS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice for new sprocket on DS

My friend has a 2001 DS. He just got the end cap and re-jetted and runs a Uni filter. He's p.o'd cause his brother has an 01 raptor with LTE dual exhaust that beats him in drags. He has alot of wheel spin off the line and he stays near his bro but loses out in 3-4 gear. after that he stays same distance behind him. He doesn't have the money for a good CDI so I thought maybe a sprocket change might serve him well. Any suggestions on what to run? He has the stock tires (20*11*9). I am also interested since I have an 04 with ported intake, end cap and jet with Uni filter. I thought about going to 22" rears, but want to know which is better sprocket or tire change? We both ride mainly trails, I jump alot and we race (drag - not track) a little. any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Cain

Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

well as for your friend i think he should go up one sprocket in the front and mabye drop one in the back. He should also get some new rear tires with more bite. I went to 22 rears on my raptor and dropped the sprocket in the front down one and it seems much better for trails. It gets up and goes quicker and i dont shift as much in the woods its much better.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Those stock tires are HORRIBLE...go to 22 inch tires on the rear and drop to a 15tooth front sprocket...launch in second gear, it gets you going in a hurry.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneRider650
Those stock tires are HORRIBLE...go to 22 inch tires on the rear and drop to a 15tooth front sprocket...launch in second gear, it gets you going in a hurry.
Yea what DuneRider650 said.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I need new tires anyway, would the 22 rears with a new 15 front sprocket be better for me too?
I talked to my friend today and his tires are new. He wants to stick with them for now and get better ones when they wear out. What sprocket configuration should he use with stock tires?
And some general info please
what does going up/down in the front do compared to the rear going up/down ? which adjustment do you make for more top end and which for more low end? and how much difference is there in changing the front opposed to the back - is there a ratio like 1 in the front is equal to ____ in the back?
I really appreciate the help guys.
Cain

Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

1 on the front is equal to 3 on the back?? im not to sure...the stock sprocket setup is pretty good with 20 inch tires..if he spins like crazy he may want to go to a 17 tooth front instead of the stock 16 this will give him more top end with less bottom so he wont spin as much and have a 80mph top speed. Going up on the front is a more noticable change than going up or down just 1 on the back. For more top speed you get a bigger front sprocket...for more bottom you go a smaller front sprocket...for the back to get more top speed you go smaller and for less top speed more take off you go bigger on the back.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think thats all correct...if not somone should correct me.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What Dune Rider said sounds correct. However, if your friend is concerned at all about drag racing he needs to get rid of the kiddie quad sized tires. The DS is a BIG quad, and it needs BIG tires to put the power to the ground. If you don't have big tires, you get wheel spin because there is so much power the tires don't have the surface area on the ground to stay planted. If he wants to keep the 20" tires there isn't much that can be done for him drag racing, the 17 tooth sprocket might help, or it might be annoying. Tires are very sellable on eBay and you'll get an OK price for them. If you want to get the 22" tires for the rear - stick with the stock 16 tooth front sprocket at first. See how it works for you. I rode 22" rears and a 16 tooth front sprocket for a long time without problems. I only changed to a 15 tooth when I started riding in sand - for dirt I could easily use the 16 with no problems.

Also if he is concerned about loosing money on the tires - have him watch eBay for some 22" tires that are too big for someone else's quad. That way he could buy some use 22" tires and sell his 20" tires and come out very close to even.

When you upgrade to 22" tires you will love the look of the quad as well - it just fits better.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Or just drag race the raptor on pavement.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Trailblazer

what is a good 22" tire? i have bandits on my bike and it spins like crazy

Quick Reply: need advice for new sprocket on DS