CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bad arm pump...Anti-vibe steering stem worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad arm pump ... Anti-vibe steering stem worth it?

I am wondering if the anti-vibe steering stems are worth installing. Does the rubber mounting of the handlebars really make a difference in arm fatigue, and if it does, what steering stem brand is best for the DS 650?

The problem I am having is arm pump and carpal tunnel symptoms after long hard rides. I raced another one of the local desert series points races today, and arm pump was so bad that I could not push the throttle with my thumb. I had to use the palm of my hand, and twist my hand down, like you do with a twist throttle, to give my DS throttle. Of course having your DS on top of you five miles into the race doesn't help matters any [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. And they took us through miles and miles and miles of incredibly rough choppy untracked sagebrush, and more rocks than I've personally ever seen in one race. I think there was a danger marker every hundred feet or so.

Arm pump only seems to be a problem with my DS, even though I think the Ohlins shocks are dialed in perfectly.

Anybody have an opinion on steering stems, or any other means of decreasing arm pump? I could use the help; I hate missing out on a trophy by one place [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bad arm pump ... Anti-vibe steering stem worth it?

I love my lonestar anti-vibe steering stem. I use it with "fat" handlebars and the combo of the two greatly decreases arm pump.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bad arm pump...Anti-vibe steering stem worth it?

you need to get the new flexx handbars, i love mine.plus they have a 30day money back ,if you don't like them.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't seen an anti-vibe stem for the ds, unless you break out a sawz-all, and a welder.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

IMS make one add a GPR V2 steering stabilizer and Flexx bar very smooth ride all so very expensive about $1200.00 for all three.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

That sounds like what I need BillDS650, but I am having a hard time finding those items. IMS does not list a steering stem for a DS on their web site, and GPR does not list a steering stabilizer for a DS on their web site either. Looks like I am going to have to call them.

DV

Old 06-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

IMS does not make one for the DS. But you can order the top mount and stem from them and have your bottom welded on for alot less. They sent me the stem for $100, then I welded on my bottom and had it powdercoated for a total cost of $125 for the complete stem. Check out my pics and you will see what it looks like.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

It does look like they droop the DS stem from there line

Old 06-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

HPD Anti-Vibe Chromemoly Steering Stem on ebay,item #4555288787,buy it now $235.99.Hope this helps.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Alba has steering stabilizers but I dont think they have steering stems. I bought a Denton one from them for around $250. It works for sharp, big movements so the handlebars dont get ripped from your hand, but not for minor bumps.

Quick Reply: Bad arm pump...Anti-vibe steering stem worth it?