ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   SideWinder DS 520 conversion (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/208135-sidewinder-ds-520-conversion.html)

CoffeeRoasterDS650 06-24-2005 02:45 PM

SideWinder DS 520 conversion

Can anyone with the 520 conversion comment on how they like it. It sounds great... from sidewinders view. I have read many of the horror storys already but it seemed to turn into a sidewinder bashing party... So if anyone who has it can comment on the increased rev and more Horses to the wheels, if they noticed any gains or not I would appriciate it. Also how is it holding up? Is the 18,000lb zero stretch 520 chain for real or what!!!

Thanks, CoffeeRoasted

bassetboy55 06-24-2005 02:57 PM

are you referring to going down in displacement? Is this for a class of racing?

lilnotts 06-24-2005 03:00 PM

no hes talking about chain size, going from the bigger 530 chains we have on the ds to a 520(like ur rappy) for less rotating mass

bassetboy55 06-24-2005 03:05 PM

geeze i feel ignorant now.
ive seent this done with preddys before, jw.

midnite 06-24-2005 06:18 PM

Dirt wheels did a conversion awile back and said they got a 4 hp boost to the rear wheels on "some" ds650's. Just what that means is anyones guess. They also said it reved quicker.

bassetboy55 06-24-2005 08:49 PM

now im interested. how many people have done this, and how much reliability is at stake?

midnite 06-24-2005 09:17 PM

The DW article said the chain is practicly bullit proof, even stating this would be the last chain you would ever buy, and if you traded bikes you would keep the chain for the new bike. The chain is rather pricey tho.

VEGAS650 06-24-2005 09:19 PM

Contact the Bom for info.

I bought the setup but have not put my DS back together yet.

He uses it and is making big HP #'s so I'm sure it's will hold up to our stuff.

sandbomber 06-24-2005 11:22 PM

I us the sidewinder ti chain on 4 of my bikes and all have been great!!!! All are over 117hp

Hightower 06-25-2005 08:11 AM

yeah its good chain, yes it is stronger, but it does stretch contrary to claims and needs adjusted from time to time just like all the others, therefore it cannot and will not last forever.

the HP gains are not that extreme, you shed more weight off rotation turning hubs lighter and switching to an aluminum sprocket and even that doesn't give you 4 HP. now doing all the above - chain conversion, hubs, alum sprocket, and also going with non-o-ring chain for less friction and drag, and maybe you're getting into some more real #'s. all are worthwhile and every little bit does indeed count.

but you will also get into faster wear on the front sprocket - the 520 chain is narrower than the 530, this is the only diference in measurement, the pitch is the same. the narrower sprockets will naturally wear faster than the thicker ones. and when they wear you are at the mercy of Sidewinder for another, high dollar every time, and unavailable from most bike shops that you could otherwise go to on a trip somewhere if the need arrises, like if you're getting beat on Sand Mt. due to wrong gearing you can't just run an hour up the road to Rocky Mt. ATV for another tooth count.

IMO for a drag bike where every little bit counts its something to do, but for an all around bike praticality and longevity get my vote.