CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Best time of the year to visit Glamis

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time of the year to visit Glamis

I have thought about a trip to Glamis, when is the best time to go as far as weather and not overly crowded?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

The best time to visit is in October, November, December and January If you want to ride with family and friends it is best to do on a non Holliday weekend . If you want to go and see all the fastest bikes and rails battle it out and party with thousands of people go on a holliday weekend.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

if you want too see fast DS and Raptors race MLK weekend in Jan

Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We've been going the week before MLK weekend in Jan.

The place starts filling up on Friday. Saturday and Sunday you can go out to the hill and watch the races or join in.

Give yourself at least 5-days on the dunes for that long of a drive. With that. . . if you were to show up on Monday (week before MLK weekend) and stay until Sunday. . . you would get 5-days of great riding and the last couple days of good riding and a lot of fun looking at all the rails, drags, etc. out there.

You really want to see Gecko Road on a Saturday afternoon. The flat drags are a site to see that shouldn't be missed if you are out here.

Olds on Saturday and Sunday will be wild but, if you've ridden like we have typically. . . by the time Saturday and Sunday come around your body is tired from all the duning you've done.

If you aren't tired come Friday Morning, make the trip down to Gordon's well and Buttercup to Mexico. You won't ride into town or anything but, you can get a group picture at the International Border. Eat lunch at Pair-a-dice (in Grodon's Well) and head back after that. You take off from the end of Gecko Road and follow the Sand Highway to Gordon's Well.

With mods I run 16/38 gearing and I've been in 5th gear flat out. . . what a rush! Buddies on YFZ's were wound out the whole way there and back (those things aren't geared for flat out desert style riding.) I usually run 22" tires but, got a hole last year so, had to run 20" tires. Even still my GPS said 89 mph. Can't wait to see what it says this year. . . I'm sure that was equal to at least one gear.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

What about camping (tent) etc

Old 08-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Mark's going for the land speed record.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You can tent camp but just be aware that all the motorhomes and toyhaulers will be running their generators and they can be noisy...
Also you want to make sure you don't put the tent where you can get run over ! That could make for a bad weekend......

Old 08-05-2005, 02:25 PM
sam
Pro Rider

Cam We need to move West![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

I head out there the first week of Feb. great riding weather...just avoid the huge weekends

Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sam
Cam We need to move West![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Wait 'til you see the helmet cam video from St. Anthony. . . . (sorry).

I'm close. Got some of it converted to mpeg. . . hope you have high speed internet. . . some of the files are pretty big [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Usually the generators arent run 24/7 during the winter unless its really cold and they are running the heaters. I have tented it and now I have a pop up trailer. For those running the tents there are toilets for public use and on holliday weekends they get funky. If you have never been to Glamis before and are making a long trip 5-7 days is a must. You will see things that will blow your mind. There is nothing like ridiing in a rail doing 100+ mph going over the whoops like they are nothing. Good luck on the trip

Aaron

PS it has to be during the winter October threw Easter at the latest cuz it getts hotter than hell out here quick. Dont forget the rainfly for your tent as this last year was the wettest I have seen in years

Quick Reply: Best time of the year to visit Glamis