CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

blowing lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing lights

the other day i was letting my friend ride my bike around my yard and when he took off i noticed the taillight was out so i motioned to come back and we changed the light. well a few days later the highbeam on headlight blew out, so i didnt worry cause i still had lowbeam, well i went to take off tonight and it blew the lowbeam, i also put a volt meter on the bike to see whats going on at all times, and the thing moves from 12 all the way to 18 then back, staying around 14 alot. i think its the rectifier but i dont know, please let me know what you guys think.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default blowing lights

Not real sure on this but I have seen a part on ebay that connects to the battery and it is advertised as to keep the voltage from doing that.I hav'nt ridden my ds yet so I don't have the experience to really help out.I would keep trying to get a response because I'm sure this is a common problem, or why else would there be a device that you could buy to put on there to help with that.The part that I seen on ebay was advertised as a new idea.Look up ds650 or ds 650 on ebay and look for that part.But I don't recommend buying one until you get some feedback on it.I have learned already just by reading some of the post on here that there is some parts out there for a ds that are junk.Hope you get it figured out and also post what you come up with so we all will know. ALSO if you hav'nt done it yet, type in what you need to know in the search box and it will come up with post about your ??.Good luck. RUSS

Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default blowing lights

CANNON,

that happened to me and also had some other crazy elelctical problems,search my post...

anyway everyone said it was the regulator, so i am in the middle of getting a new one..if you search my posts you will see all the problems associated with the regulator..it is a common thing..

anyway i am not a fan of procom but they have one on ebay for half the price of the stock one and claim it will even increase your hp

again i am no way recommending anything from procomm, but its out there....OLDMANRACING had the same problems i had and he replaced his with the procomm one and it runs great so far!!!

Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default blowing lights

But are you willing to risk a 500 dollar repair and alot of work, such as what happen to Mrneg9. You would be alot safer going with a vortex or just staying with the stock one. What sort of mods are you running Chiro? if its mostly bolt on stuff, no head work. your alot better off staying with stock. Over reving doesnt make more power. 222 explained this to me " the top of the curve is at about 6900 rpm on a stock motor. if you shift about 7000 every time your staying on top of the torq, thus going faster. It doesnt sound like it but you are". My stock limiter was 7900 rpm. that gives you plenty of over rev. He also told me that they havnt seen any cdi's that actually make more hp. The vortex has the advantage because it can grow with you as you further mod your ride. I know there alot of money but you can find a deal and there alot less than a sprag clutch repair. As far as the regulator I would stay away from procom. Im not sure but I thought I read somewhere here that there is a BMW regulator that works on the DS and it was cheaper. Just my .02

Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default blowing lights

im talking about the procomm regulater not the cdi....i would never get a procomm cdi but i heard the regulater may be good!

Old 08-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default blowing lights

Sorry, I guess I miss understood your last post. I would still be wary of any procomm parts.