CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ron Woods Kits worth the investment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone out there tried any of the Ron Woods kits for the DS 650? In particular, the stage 3 kit? I am interested in adding this kit to my machine and wondered what kind of results I can expect to see. I read the brochure and all they say about 48 percent more power, but real world, how does it work, anyone had bad luck?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

I have recently opened a speed shop here in nebraska and am in the process of get a dealership for many after market part companies. One of which is Grayden Proline. I talked the rep from Grayden about their pipe options for the DS and was told that one of their dealers on the east coast has had their red anidiesed pipe on the dyno up agaist a ron woods stage one kit and that their pipe out performed the woods kit. And for the money I'd go with Grayden pipe.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

I have a Ron Wood stage 1 kit on my DS, I bought the kit without the exaust they sell and got the Big Gun exaust for it. I am very happy with the performance of the kit and have had no real problems with it. The carburator does take alot of adjusting to get it running right. I live in North Carolina so there was no need to re jet the carb.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you saying with the accelerator pump disabled, you don't get a hickup when you nail the throttle from idle? It was my experience that the lowend power/throttle response was sufferring due to the disabled accelerator pump and poor jetting.

Old 10-23-2000, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

as I said before I don't think the kit is cost effective. I'm not saying that it does'nt give good improvment were it is needed but the price that he wants for the stuf in his kit is not to my liking . As far as I conserned the carb is not needed the only problem with the stock carb is that it is a vaccum carb and with that in stock form it would bog off of jumps because of the changes in g forces moving the slide up and down when you don't want it to. I fixed that problem with a spring (stiffer) slide spring, and a larger bowl aroung my main jet. These parts are standard equiptment on the 2001 DS. But I had to buy them ($16). If you need the part number let me know. Ron also wants $289 for the new cdi box, which i think is a bomb waiting to happen since he doesn't raise the rev limiter he elimnates it al together. grayden is coming out with a cdi that raises the rev limit for alot less money(pay less now and same alot later). I got my system from alba pipe, silencer, KN, outerwear, main jet, and with the addition of the cdi box feel it will do as much as ron claims his kit will for well under half the money. I let you know when I get my dyno this spring for my shop ( there really not that over priced).

Old 10-23-2000, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

Scooby, Sorry it has taken so long to reply I was away for the weekend. When I got the stage 1 kit I did have all the problems you had in the back of my head, and when I finished installing it and went and test ride it I was saying to myself "scooby was right" because it was running like total ***, No that is an understatement, it was running like a 2 legged dog!!! Anyway everytime I would nail the throttle it would stall, cough, hiccup, backfire and since it was dark outside shoot nice blue flames out the tailpipe. The next day a friend of mine who is more of a motorcycle mechanic than I came over and looked at it. He would take off for a ride through the field stop take off the seat, make an adjustment ride some more stop and make an adjustment. Since then all the hesitation and coughing it was doing is gone. I wish I could tell you what all he did but Im not really sure but if you like I can ask him and let you know.

Old 10-23-2000, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Does changing to the stiffer spring cause the thumb throttle lever to feel harder to push? Are there any problem doing this to 2000?
please post the the part #s for spring&bowl. For 16.00 I would try it.Thanx

Old 10-23-2000, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

cdracing I have the same setup on my -the cdi box
and it dynoed at about 43.5 at Alba and 40 at Edelbrock.

Old 10-23-2000, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

No the stiffer sring did nothing to the feel of the thumb throttle. The new sring is shoter in length than the stock one but stiffer. I was really happy with change it made in my machine. the part numbers are as follows

# 707200147 stiffer spring
# 707200148 cup

If you need help with the install let me know, I'll walk you through it.