CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My first GNCC experience. (Unadilla N-Y)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first GNCC experience.

I entered the stock utility class with my yellow XT 800 along with a buddy on his Outty 400. I never experienced a dead engine start and it showed. I had a bad start going into the first turn, almost last. I was pissed because 400 Outty's were beat me out of the hole, I didn't know what went wrong because I pinned the throttle right after I hit the start button and nothing. Later Scott Kilby pointed out the slight starting delay with EFI’s; I never noticed it before because it's only a split second delay.
Passed three people in the next couple of corners before hitting the tight trails. I saw a guy rolled over on a brute, later I found out it was my other buddy in the super senior class (yes I would have helped had I known). Frustrated in the trails with no room to pass I just followed and thought be patient the race is about 2 hours. Started climbing a steep hill but the guy in front of me got stuck and dug a hole, I tried to back up but people were behind me so I waited and watched people go by on a side trail one after another. ONE MINUTE LATER he finally gets going, I am on his butt and yelling to let me pass but no way. I figured I could easily get him on the motocross section but he was faster than I thought so now I was pushing to get him on some jumps. I saw a sport quad ahead jump thinking it's just another tabletop so I went for it, I moved along side the Prairie then I noticed he slammed on his brakes. Off I went! OH **** it's a drop off and I'm going to hit real hard! The sport quad crashed now it's my turn to land from about a fifteen-foot high freefall. I hit so hard with my body I bent my steering stem support on the bottom (I later found out) and bottomed out the suspension and tires. I just missed hitting that sport quad then gathered myself thinking I'm OK now I checked the bike. Steering seemed a little harder as I stopped but maybe it's just me as I looked it over. Off I went playing catch-up again and caught that guy on the Prairie by the end of the motocross section. Followed him for another lap before I made a move, this time I wanted to be sure on a safe pass. With one and a half laps to go I turned it up because finally nobody was in front of me and I felt good. I passed some 450-sport quads on the trail and even some on the moto track, then Prairies and my buddy on his 400 Outty. These 800’s rip! Last lap and I noticed a orange light on the speedo that was not the 4 wheel drive indicator, I thought it was the engine overheating light so I played it safe by not going WOT on the moto track hoping it would cool down. Passed a few more and finished 6th ahead of Penland who had mechanical trouble. I believe I could have gotten at best 3rd had I got a good start. But that’s racing.

Overall this was an exciting experience for me while getting some good tips from some great guys (GE4x4, Scott Kilby, and Mike Penland).

Thanks guys
First Outlander on most forums and M-dog on the CONNECTION