CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Clutch basket trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch basket trouble?

After alot of hard racing at Winchester and Horsfall this weekend my clutch got real stiff and it feels weird, kinda like a real hard letting it out then about half way it feels like there a notch or somthing then real hard again. I thought it was just the cable at first so I took it apart and cleaned the cable real good, no dice. Im going to pull it apart tonight and check it out. Donal thinks its maybe a broken spring? Im going to install a HPR clutch the stock one with 60% springs was slipping a little on the button. Any ideas?

Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Did you check your actuator gear? Ive has to replace several.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I would guess your actuator also. Done a couple myself. I'm running the barnett with half pami, half ronwoods 60% no problems with holding as of yet. Good luck man.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
Did you check your actuator gear? Ive has to replace several.

You're kidding right? If that's the case, the clutch actuator rack (gear) should be made of a different material with different hardness. I've had to replace one, but several? I was thinking the one that went bad on me was due to some metallurgical irregularity.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I got alittle behind today and didnt get to check it out today. Im going to pull it apart tonight.

Jed, Why two different springs? Im running RW 60%. I was going to go with HPR clutch but I guess it really hard to find neutral with it. Staying with the OEM and going to go to stiffer springs I guess. I have had 2 builders tell me to stay with the OEM. Probably have to go to a hydrolic clutch.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run RWR 40% springs with HPR clutches with no issues. Only a little difficult to find netural when the machine is cold. Warm it up and there's no problem finding netural.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Scatter, when I first put my kit in, I thought I had a problem with it and if I adjusted my cable out far enough to disengage it, it would slip, and then if I adjusted it in far enough so it wouldnt slip, I couldt disengage it. The problem ended up being that I had pushed the actuator and bearing in on the pressure plate, once I fixed it, it never had a problem. And come to think of it, I did have all pami springs in and then changed to every other stock spring, not 60%. Neutral is a little twitchy, no lie there. In my honest opinion, there is not a set of springs that you will be able to pull in that will hold to the power your putting out. It might get you by, and wont slip alot once your moving after the shift, but for that slight instanceor moment after you shift, it will slip.
The biggest thing I noticed with the barnett was just that, once I shifted, it was all there. You really dont notice it when you havent had a different setup, it seems normal. But when you shift it feels soft, thats the clutch slipping. With this setup, when I shift, it hits hard. I would be willing to bet I gain 2-3 lengths on these big hills from the barnett. But I guess if you use a really, really, really strong spring, it would hold up ok, but thats gotta wear on the actuator. I actually pulled an actuator through the pressure plate with the 60% pami springs! They are hard to pull, I could even imagine using anything stronger, hence I guess the reason you would need a hydraulic clutch. Hey I'll tell you what, if you buy the barnett, and dont like it, give me a deal on it and I'll buy it, I need one for my brothers bike. That way you can atleast try it and see if the neutral thing will work for ya.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Jed, are you running the standard barnett or HPR's barnett? I guess the neutral thing I could get used to. I put a call into Randall this morning but there closed today.
Donal and raced quite a bit at the coast on Sunday. Don's turbo on alcohol against my 730 on nos. Dead even! Who ever got the hole shot won by a bike link or so. We killed just about everything on the sand. We got beat by a really quick shee but only by a few lengths, Im going to be screwed when Don get his nitrous on the turbo.. Still waiting on the CT should be here this week. I want to up the shot to 25 but Im still a little worried about the octane issue. Man at sea level both bikes just screamed. I got alot of seat time on Dons turbo that thing is a blast to ride.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Scatter, good to hear that thing is running. Once you get that pipe its going to be a different animal though. When you have a good day that you can spend some time with your machine, install the 25 and just start with very small bursts. Then work your way up, checking and listening for anything that could be trouble, it'll take it. As for the clutch, my buddy Mark sold me one, and I already had the springs, great price too! I'm sure HPR would hook you up as well, so its all good. But mine is the standard barnett. Hey when you want to go to the micro switch for racing, you could put in a crossover switch on so you could leave your button for having fun, then flip the switch over to the micro and kick some butt! Just give me a shout and I'll post a pick of my brothers moose with it installed.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

I'm running the Barnett with HPR springs not the Barnett springs. Finding neutral is not a big deal. Yes it's a bit more difficult but I found it easier to just turn the bike off and slip it into neutral that way. Besides I seldom ever use neutral unless its to allow the bike to warm up.

Quick Reply: Clutch basket trouble?