CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Gas in my DS's oil.....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in my DS's oil.....Help!

Hi everyone,
I just joined the forum this morning because I need some advice and I haven't found my local dealer very helpful when it comes to anything.
I bought my 2001 Ds slightly used just this past winter and have only put 20 or 25 hours on it. I changed the oil right away, put a new battery in it, a set of plugs and slapped some razr2's on the back. Other than that the bike is entirely stock. I have never played with the carb or engine, or even the air filter for that matter. about a month ago I was riding the bike after storing it for a week and a half. I was just riding some dirt roads, so nothing too intense and my oil light came on. I stopped right away and shut the machine down. When I checked the oil, the level was way up, the oil dripped like water, and i could smell gas like mad. I didn't start the machine up again until I had changed the oil and filter, but I know i haven't fixed the cause of the problem yet. I thnk it is a problem with the carb, because the bike isn't smoking at all and it still has good compression. I have talked to a couple of people who figure it might have something to do with the "needle" not seating itself properly, and when i left the bike sitting for a week and a half with the fuel valve open (i admit it) gas just drained down through the carb, past the needle and eventually past my rings into the crank case.
I was just hoping to get some opinions on whether this is indeed what is happening, and if so, how would a guy go about fixing the problem? I am reasonably mechanically inclined, but i have never ripped apart a carb before.
Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
Thanks, Scott

Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Scott,
Welcome to the forum! You found a good one!
About your Quad, what you have been told is probobly correct. That is the only way fuel can enter the crankcase. You need to turn the fual valve to OFF after every ride. The carbs have brass needle and seats, since there is no rubber oe neoprene to aid in sealing, they are prone to leaking.
You also need to check the line coming off the bottom of the carb. It does two things, it acts as a way to drain the bowl when needed (the screw) and if the needle and seat leaks, it will allow the overflow to run out of the carb instead of into the engine. That hose may be plugged up with dirt/mud, whatever. Check that and post your findings.
Carl.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes indeed those two things would have to simultaneously be occuring, and they are the only things that do cause this - the float needle valve in the carb bowl is not sealing, allowing the bowl to overfill, and the overflow line must be clogged or blocked. on top of allowing gas to run into the motor, the air filter would also probably get soaked, and perhaps gas in the airbox. a backfire is all it may take to blow your ***** off.

I have actually found a case one time where the float bowl's needle valve was leaking, causing overflow, and the owner thought the gas "leaking" out the overflow was a bad thing, so he plugged the line with a stick!!! I rectified it for him before he lost his nads.

Somtimes just cleaning the needle valve and seat is all that is needed, but sometimes dirt has impregnated in the brass seat or the rubber tip of the needle to never allow a good seat again. Best thing to do is replace the needle and the seat both at the same time. after replacement, check the float level to make sure it is correct before re-instaling the carb. I can e-mail you a diagram and instruction for replacement and instruction if you need it, PM me and let me know. The carb is a Mikuni BSR42, you can get the float needle valve and float valve seat from the dealer, or any carb parts dealer online that deals with Mikuni BSR's.

if you find that the overflow hose was deliberately plugged, you have a serious bone to pick with the seller, because you then have to assume its been that way for a long time, and who knows how much the bike was ridden with diluted oil causing premature wear on everything in the crankcase and tranny and clutch.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Good points Hightower!

Old 10-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of the feedback.
I am going to tear the carb out tomorrow and see what I can see. Anymore pointers or things to watch for when I do that would be great. Otherwise, wish me luck and I will let you all know what I find.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, a couple

First choice - replace it with a TM45! you will never look back!
Second - read the thread titled "Stock carb Mods" - GREAT info in there!

Post any questions. We love them.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

well this might sound crazy but i had the same problem but not only on my ds but on all my petrol cars.
i took a oil sample and send it for testing it came back and the problem was that the feul was contaminated with diesel. i have my own under ground 4500 lt bulk storage tank. the fuel company did their own test and it came out the same.
mabe it would not happen in the USA.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Wow hightower....gives new meaning to blew my ***** off.....ouch!!!!!