CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds650 tach shorted out-do you want help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 tach shorted out-do you want to sell

Hi guys. If you have a tach that no longer works due to being over voltaged/shorted out, and you want to get rid of it, let me know because I may want it. Or I may be able to fix it cheap. I posted awhile back about Autometer fixing the tachs, well they won't and I know this because I have tried. Originally they told me to send it in and they would fix it, well the guy who told me to send it in did'nt know the system, and they offered to fix it when they sent it back to me without the bezel. Well the next time I see it, it is together but with a note that it was beyond fixing. To make a long story short they did'nt even look at it close enough to figure anything out, I even told them where to look. Now the only reason that I did'nt try to fix it myself the first time is because they told me that they would fix it. I am so upset with those people that I can't even think straight. So if you have one of these laying around that does'nt work anymore and you would like to see it dissapere let me know, or if you would be willing to let me try and fix it, let me know as well. So to answere your question if mine works again, YES it works again. Let me know if I can help. RUSS

Old 10-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds650 tach shorted out-do you want help

Mines been acting funny but I tink it's related to the other electrical problems I've been having.

It probably is toast though just like my cdi's and batterr.

By the way, the needle has a tendency to bounce around alot. I've even seen the thing spin all the way around![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

As far as your tach goes. If you hav'nt yet, check all connections and esspecialy the ground. This post is for tachs that don't work or shorted out, so I can't really offer much help if it is working, but incorrectly. RUSS

Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Vegas did you check your wiring on the tach yet? If so was you able to get the thing corrected? RUSS

Old 10-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Mine the needle just jumps around all over the place sparatically, with no pattern whatsoever. Light works and such, grounds and leads are good.... ideas?

Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

There are only 2 things that I can think of. Check the wire on the coil, make sure it is clean and make sure it slides over the spade tight, and use some dielectrical grease on it, this helps keep corrosion away. The other thing could be cdi related, allowing voltage spikes wich would increase voltage to coils and then into the tach wich could cause a false reading. All tach's are designed to read at a certain amount of voltage from a coil and if the voltage go beyond that I am guessing that it could cause it to jump around. I can't verify this because I am not a expert. I would think that you could have a dealer contact Bombardier, and have it sent in to fix. I know Autometer will fix it but it has to go through Bombardier and I don't know how that system works because I fixed mine myself. But mine was just shorted out and I hav'nt rode it anywhere yet to know if myine will do that. I bought this quad and had to buy parts for it to be ridable and during that process is when I shorted the tach out, and just now have it fixed and back on the quad, so r+d yet, but I can say that it does'nt do any bouncing around sitting and running/revving or a trip down the ally. Hope this helps. RUSS

Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

it does it as soon as it starts and doesn't stop. if a cdi doesn't work, can it be repaired?

Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

My tach light works, but like thechosenone, the needle bounces all over the place, all the way around, etc. I assumed that it was toast, been like that since I bought the quad (used). Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have intermittent problems with the tachs on both of my 04 Baja X's. THey exhibit the same problem from time to time where they will stick at different RPM's. Usually somewhere in the 4-6K RPM mark. Not sure if its a mechanical or electrical issue at this point.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

You guys got me thinking pretty hard here. I would deff say it is electronical problems inside the tach, because if the cdi's were causing this then I would think it would cause the quad to run bad. My tach is an 03 baja tach made by autometer for Bomb. I know the bajax is autometer for Bomb. I have seen tachs offered by rwr that are also autometer but for aftermarket. My tach actually says bombardier and autometer. Does yours say this as well. Just trying to see if maybe diff model tachs are causing this. At last resort I would try to have a dealer send it in for repair, if this can be done, remeber to make a note of the problems so autometer has an idea of where to start.

Quick Reply: ds650 tach shorted out-do you want help