CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

polishing plastic????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing plastic????????

This may seem like a weird ?, but does anyone have a good way of polishing plastic? I know buying new is about the only way to have a new look, but surelly there is a way to polish out the scuffs. So does anyone have a good solution? Thanks, RUSS

Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

You could try plastic renew.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using dawn dishwashing liquid- squirt some on the plastic then spray it down with Fantasic cleaner. Then scrub it with a good stiff brush. Then rinse off with water.
I don't what the combination of cemicals does but it does make old plastic shine !!!

Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

There is a product called "Honda Shine" that works real good and also a polish called "2001" that works real good.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Try Motul Silicone clean, won't take out scratches, but make plastic look real good.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Topper
There is a product called "Honda Shine" that works real good and also a polish called "2001" that works real good.

I also use the "Honda Shine"

Old 10-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

You might try to PM Crazypainter he might have some good information for yeah, he paints on plastic fenders for quads, and hes really good at it too.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have been going around and around with this. I have an '02 with all black plastics. Every scratch shows and any sort of polish just sticks into the scratches. I have tried everything... In fact I went so far as to go to a local plastic shop where I got some stuff called Novus... its supposed to be the best plastic polish on the market. Nothing has produced the results which I have wanted. I think I am expecting too much. I was really looking for a factory finish, and with the gouges I have, its just not going to happen. My best results came from 4 inch buffing wheels on a drill with plastic polishing compound. Then finishing with a polish made for plexiglass. It doesn't get it perfect but I have been able to knock down the deep gouges, and put a glassy shine on everything including the gouges. The funny thing is I could have just purchased new plastics for the amount I have spent on various polishes. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have buffed on my gas tank plastic for an hour now and I think I am about out of patients. I think I will just buy a new one. The reason I want to get it looking like new is because I have a new nose for it and wanted to try and make them match. I agree that I won't get the results that I am looking for. I guess I am too picky. I also think that if I would of had this since new it would not be in the shape it is in. Boy the black plastic sure does show all. Thanks for all the advise. RUSS

Old 10-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Wet sand it with some sand paper then buff it.

Quick Reply: polishing plastic????????