CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The "Big Easy" via HPResearch - a 730 review (LONG)

Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Big Easy" via HPResearch - a 730 review (LONG)

Mario get the real deal JJ&a and I will get it to ya at cost if that make ya happy!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Great great write up BigDaddy331, : - )

Just curious if we can expect to see a comparison of Dynoed out put of the DS Pre 730 rebuild vs. after the upgrade kit and how much more power did you get out of her.
I agree with every thing you said about HPResearch and Erik and I see from some of you photos that you also run NOS or did at that time. I know for a lot of folks it’s a matter of Power output per dollar spent.
There's a lot of exciting things going on in the ATV industry right now and BRP just isn’t speaking up much with regards to there Sport models and the DS, where Erik and HPResearch are realy coming through for us DS owners. It seems BRP is more focused on Utility ATV's for some reason. I know down here in Southern California its performance quads that sell not two seater versions of UTE quads the numbers speak for them selves.
Though the industry is really turning to Fuel injection now and turbo charging though still pretty costly for the average Joe but they both help out a lot with regards to tuning and the removal of carburetor while yielding even more efficient power on 730 kits such as yours.

My question is at what point do you start getting in to the Drag racing only nitch crowd. I mean Ya its great to Drag race every now and then, I love to watch these guys tear it up but there's more to it than that.
This may be a poor question to ask here on this forum but at what point do you have enough power ? ... some say never I am sure.....: - )
But,
My self I chose the DS over any and all other bikes out there I paid cash out the door and I am still Happy as can be to this day.... sure I am eager as the next guy to reach back for the credit card on this one and I can do the work my self.... as the majority of my Mods are relatively small in price and equivalent in performance gains.

My self I am also a big fan of riding the Dunes as I am headed out next week but am wondering where it all ends, currently I am faster than all my friends that I go out with there is not hill I can't climb at Glamis and I am vary happy with the stock bore and stroke as it puts out great smooth power, sure there always going to be some one out there faster than me, and there always going to be some one faster than the next guy. You have been to Glamis and have seen the BIG BIG Dollar rigs these guys play with to me in my opinion its there LIFE its there PASSION and I share there passion and hope to see even more performance Mods out there to help make for an even better DS!

I truly congratulate Erik and HPResearch for all the great work they are doing it sounds like the 730 is a great upgrade kit and they will be receiving my order soon enough I just hope BRP doesn’t get left behind the performance curve because as you know the other big players are not sitting back happy with there sales percentages and loyal customers they want BRP's to all of which helps us Riders and consumers get better handling, safer and faster ATV's.

Congratulations on the upgrade please keep the great write ups coming as I plain on reading them over and over till some day I can write one of my own....

Thanks again for the write up BigDaddy331

Old 10-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

ILivSD, you are right.... NOS is on the bike and I just recently went from a wet system to a Boondockers (dry) system. Yes, there is always someone faster than me. I don't care if I had every mod possible for the beast, there will ALWAYS be someone faster.

I do have a lot of Dyno time on my bike, and I do have my dyno results recorded. I'm not sure when I'll get to the dyno though, the cost of Dyno runs is pretty sharp here in Vegas and there aren't a whole bunch of people who really know what they are doing (dyno tuning) on the quad side. I would rather spend that hard earned money on more mods. Realize that I am a pretty big boy, used to play Basketball in the bigs and am rather fond of the speed RUSH. Because of my stature, I'm always looking for the "Great Equalizer". And trust me, short of sticking an LS1 in my Bomb frame I don't know if I'll ever be completely happy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Truthfully I'm not the Drag Racer guy that sits at the bottom of the hill poking people to run. I leave that to the fast guys like Mario, Eagle and my pals that run Beafed Banshees. That said, when I do run, I don't want to look like a turd on a stick. I want my bike to be all it could be.
I'll tell you one thing, I wish that I could take back all the money that I've spent on my sled over the last 3 years. I would have spent half that on this kit alone. I don't drink, smoke or even party. I'm a family guy that likes his toys to be fast and very clean.

There will be more to come, and I plan on doing a write up on HPR's BigBore (H4's) cams around or just after Christmas. I believe that their race head review will be coming out sometime around Easter.

On a side note, a really cool and unexpected opportunity came about based on the review. In addition to it possibly being published, I have been contacted by an individual who expressed interest in future reviews for his ATV based Website on losts of different products. Probably not exiting for some of you, but it's kind of exciting for me. Having a lift and being pretty booked all the time with Quads, Choppers, sports bikes and the never ending line of diesels in my driveway, I get to ride just about everything. I'm sure that my wife would like to put a lock on the garage and hand up a gone out of business sign. But because I do so much work on quads, it lets me see lots of different things. Right now, I'm building another Z400 motor for a desert racer (450 BigBore kit), and next week I've got a Duramax in for a Tuner, guages and an ATS converter.

Busy, Busy, Busy

Mario, obviously you have some history that I don't really know about. My hope is that you'll work it out and get back to giving us your insight. I for one, enjoy your point of views, and enjoy watching the MOPPINGs.

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me about the article, and I promise i'll get to all of your questions in the next couple of days. There has been a fairly sizable response. I'll get to them all sooner or later.

BigDaddy

Old 10-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ILivSD
My question is at what point do you start getting in to the Drag racing only nitch crowd. I mean Ya its great to Drag race every now and then, I love to watch these guys tear it up but there's more to it than that.
This may be a poor question to ask here on this forum but at what point do you have enough power ? ... some say never I am sure.....: - )
My 730 with the HPR3 cams is a great all around motor package. It pulls smooth like the stock motor, just a lot stronger! Its a lot more fun to ride, sure it pulls the hills faster, but it will dune all day in 3rd gear. Amazing torque. I think with the right cam selection and exhaust system you could put the power where ever you want it. I bet you could build a 800 to be a great trail quad, it may even have as much torque as my duramax!

Old 10-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Probably as much TQ as your Duramax, but not as much as my Cummins dressed in a Dodge wrapper. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi BigDaddy331

Can you explain the following extract from your review and and its benefits.

[Quote]
the jug is no longer a larger model of the stock motor jug. It’s now a closed block version of the stock piece that at the time of this is being written, has not had one failure to date. By closing the casting of the jug, they have strengthened the bore as well as the entire body of the jug, while maintaining its ability to stay cool under pressure.

good review by the way

Dave

Old 10-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

yes, I've had many people ask this very question. If you you look at the top of a bare jug (looking down throught the cylinder), the water jacket that surrounds the cylinder is "open" . Meaning that there is a large "open" void around 90% of the cylinder wall. The new casting is closed, in other worlds there is aluminum between the body of the jug and cylinder itself through out the casting. what this does is gives strength and more integrity to the bore. This is something that wasn't common all the way up to the early 90's even in HIGH PERFORMANCE applications. A good example of this is OUTBACK MOTORSPORTS' Subaru closed block. If you have a Sandrail Magazine or go to their website, you'll get a good picture of what I'm talking about. This is by far a better design than stock and something that should prove to be essential for BIG HP and LONGEVITY.

I'm trying to add a picture to my gallery. I should have taken a pic of the HRP jug and stock. The pic I'm trying to load up is the OUTBACK example of a closed block. Wish me luck.

Well it didn't work. Go to Outback Motorsports site and look at there "block" section. You'll get the idea. Wish I was more computer savy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a picture of the HPR 730 vs. stock bore jug Picture

The stock bore is on the left, notice all the free space the water jacket creates. The HPR on the right is "reinforced."

Old 10-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Oh trust me no worries here. One piece at a time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Bigdaddy,

Great article. It's also great to see HPResearch get the praise they deserve. Eric has helped me a bunch and I only wish I went with him from day one. I have a Stage III now (A bud was getting rid of it and I couldn't pass it up). However I will be getting a bigger bore and have them do the shim overs. I'm really tempted to just get the 730 jug and forget the stroker. Your review made me impatient hehehehe. I am assuming (at work.. only quickly glanced at your post) your still using stock cams. I wondering if another cam grind will drastically change the powerband from what you described. I can't wait to see you ride that thing out in Dumont. See ya soon guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "Big Easy" via HPResearch - a 730 review (LONG)