CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap

i have the stock gas cap and was wondering all my other quads alway had caps with hose in them or atleast

a hole for something...this one doesnt have anything....

should i get a different cap with a hose in it..

what does it do?.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

I'm assuming this is on a DS. If it is, the cap is not vented the tank has a hose underneath the cover plastic that is vented. When removing the tank it is important to not kink this long hose.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

Hey chirochris,
I had the vary same question ?
I was under the understand that BRP built a kind of diapharm into the plastic gas cap that if the bike turned upside down fule would not leak out but yet would allow air to flow into the tank gas to allow it fuel to drain down to the carb.
I ended up going with a nice billet gas cap one later on but never had any problems either way.
I think the designs pretty good.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

does the amount of air sucked in to the tank have anything to do with performance

can you have to much airflow into the tank,

if i get a vented billet cap and the tank has a biult in hose can this be to much

Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

chirochris,

Most people either modify the existing cap to add a one-way vent hose or get another gas cap with one already built in. Either way, most people that do either one above, will end up pinching off that silly long stock hose. The reason why people change is because that stock hose can pinch on its own, causing replacement air to be restricted - this causes the fuel flow to be limited. You'll notice this problem the older the quad is and more deteriorated the hose becomes, and the more performance mods you add.

On a side note, the Polaris Predator 500 has the same threads as the Bombardier DS650. Since aftermarket billet gas caps for the DS were on the market before the Predator, Predator owners were able to get gas caps right away.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

the "airflow" into the tank only assures that there is atmospheric pressure inside the tank. In other words, it eliminates the vaccuum caused by the fuel leaving the tank. If the tank is sealed, fuel would not be able to drain once the vaccuum builds enough, therefore no gas = no running. Pressure in the fuel tank would have the same effect as a supercharger without efi. A pressurized fuel bowel in the carb will not allow fuel to flow from it properly if at all, and once again will mean the quad won't run. So to answer your question... he!! take the gas cap right off if you don't mind gettin wet....just make sure there is some form of ventilation into the tank.....

Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default gas cap

Chirochris, If what your asking is "If the gas tank can get too much air" then I dont think the gas tank can get TOO MUCH air. It will be just fine to leave the hose dangling down if you get a vented gas cap. Its not going to hurt a thing. But, you DO NOT have to be pressed to buy a new gas cap either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

choose,

that is what i am asking.........thanks again....

Old 10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas cap

When I noticed I had a problem back in 2001, my hose was filled with gas and also pinched. I never got comfortable having a hose full of gas dangleing down near hot parts including exhaust, not to mention it where the gas goes when it drains..... but thats just me. chirochris is right about the gas cap, you can modify what you have to accept a one way valve, Jeff did it and it looks great.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default gas cap

While we are on the subject, I just ordered the IMS desert tank. For those of you already running one, does it have the hose in question, and does it utilize the stock gas cap? Seems like the ones I've seen pics of had a vented cap. Just want to get rid of that silly hose. Seems they could have made it atleast two feet shorter and achieved the same results!

Any other issues as far as mounting the larger tank, or does it just drop right in? Been impressed with IMS quaility so far so I thought I'd go with the tank too. Wish I could say the same for the AC items I added.