CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Review of Outlander 800 VS. Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of Outlander 800 VS. Sportsman 800

I have to disagree with Dirt Wheels being biased against Bomb. While I was trying to decide what kind of quads to buy I read a solid WIN by the outty 400 over the Kodiak and the 330 over the Bruin in two DW articles. Though I had to go a couple years back to get a review of the 330.

That said, I think dirt wheels has been going downhill. Even with mfg introducing more mahines than ever, which should demand MORE tests and comparisons, it seems like they are doing less. Instead they are filling the magazine with pictures of readers by their machine. I enjoy those pictures but not as a replacement for the content you buy the magazine for. They have also gotten very lazy in the computer age. When the reviewer is typing up the review they may make an error like typing 'the' instead of 'they' or 'them' and when they run spell check it doesnt catch it and they leave it. Is it too much to ask that they read through the article one last time to check for those things? It gives it a very unprofessional feel.

As far as the BRP 800 vs the Polaris 800, I am not qualified to comment.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UTCoyote
I have to disagree with Dirt Wheels being biased against Bomb. While I was trying to decide what kind of quads to buy I read a solid WIN by the outty 400 over the Kodiak and the 330 over the Bruin in two DW articles. Though I had to go a couple years back to get a review of the 330.

That said, I think dirt wheels has been going downhill. Even with mfg introducing more mahines than ever, which should demand MORE tests and comparisons, it seems like they are doing less. Instead they are filling the magazine with pictures of readers by their machine. I enjoy those pictures but not as a replacement for the content you buy the magazine for. They have also gotten very lazy in the computer age. When the reviewer is typing up the review they may make an error like typing 'the' instead of 'they' or 'them' and when they run spell check it doesnt catch it and they leave it. Is it too much to ask that they read through the article one last time to check for those things? It gives it a very unprofessional feel.

As far as the BRP 800 vs the Polaris 800, I am not qualified to comment.
Coyote, I couldn't agree more on the laziness of their editing. We all make mistakes here on the forum, but they publish a magazine for goodness sake! Other than that, most of the magazines, to me, seem to be too positive on the individual reviews and not objective enough on the shootouts.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

...seem to be too positive on the individual reviews and not objective enough on the shootouts.
They are afraid of offending their advertisers. I guess I can't blame them too much for that. That's who keeps them in business. I have learned to read through it though. When they say Incredible, it's really good. When they say great, it's good. When they say good, it is not so good and when they say nothing, it could be bad. Or something like that. Read an article with that mindset and I'm sure you will see what I mean.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

Hey boy's, who gives a **** if dirt wheels say's your bomb isn't as good as the poli 800. If you pay for it and like the machine, thats all that matters. The only thing that I would be crying about if I owned one is the cost of it. Not to mention the resale value that (for sure) took a hit. Good luck and remember, long live the brute

Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

all these years, they would take the 4x4 machines to a motocross track to do a shootout and complain that the traxter and quest "just weren't sporty enough" - oh, they'd be ok if you just wanted to do chores and work, but we give them last place because they aren't any fun for sport riding. Just griped my butt.

Now, Bombardier listened and gave them something they couldn't complain about- what do they do?? They take them on a 5mph work test for the weekend and complain that it "just isn't utility enough"!!!! Too sporty. Somebody will have to answer to One far greater than me oneday for their greedy and prideful ways....
The sad part is: yeah, someone at the magazine makes more money this way, but it costs manufactures millions in lost sales and r/d.

glad that's off my chest

Old 11-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

oh yeah, they'll have a writeup/article on a Baja or Desert race with a big picture of a 450r or yfz front and center, with a big hoopla about the Honda team or Kawi team. You'll have to read deep or find the small print race results to see that a Ds650 actually won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Or, they'll just list the team that won, so you don't know what they were actually riding.
What did BRP do to the magazine guys, or what DIDN't they do?

ps- I've met several magazine writers and they aren't all this way. I think their real articles get canned or "edited".

Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Alright can we clear something up. THE PRICE OF THE REGUALR OUTLANDER 800 IS THE SAME AS THE POLARIS 800. So stop saying it cost so much when it is the same.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

I've said this before, when the 800outtie 1st was introduced, it barely made the cover of dw's. DW had a little pic of the outtie in the bottom left corner. The main pic on the cover was a very little redefined yfz.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

I don't get it, WHy did Dumb Wheels say the Outty weight was in the mid seven hundred pounds. When Bomb says it weights 639lbs and 689lbs for the XT????

Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

my guess would be that they were saying that was the weight with all of their equipment on there and using the stock weight of the sp 800 to make polaris look better

matt

Quick Reply: Review of Outlander 800 VS. Sportsman 800