CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HP Research DS650 VS. $13,000 520TRX Honda

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Research DS650 VS. $13,000 520TRX Honda

To whom it may concern,

I have wasted more money on automobile parts over the years to probably pay my mortgage off. However I recently made the decision that my DS650 was a touch on the slow side. So I read the forums at multiple web sites and it came to my attention that HP Research had quite a bit of knowledge on the DS....

After a few moments on hold I spoke with Randall. His knowledge was impressive, so I purchased the new exhaust, lextron carb, ported intake and a pair of new spark plugs.

Installation made my machine loud! Ah, loud! And what a strong machine. YES, you will notice a difference!

With in a couple of days a coworker of mine began to brag about his 520TRX honda with over $7,000 in engine and suspension work above and beyond his purchase price of the machine. His words to me were as follows... "My TRX520 will make you embarrassed to show your face!"

Well that was a threat that I was willing to take but only with some more modification...

So back to the phone, Randall and my credit card. I purchased the race cams, 13 to 1 piston and a 17 tooth sproket. Now lets take inventory of what I've done thus far...

Exhaust, 46mm Lectron Carb, air filter, ported intake, race piston, race cams, new spark plugs, and 17 tooth sproket.

It took me a few days to make the conversion (I'm a little slow and I also would highly recommend buying the service manual from bombardier).

Two days later on my way to line them up... I decided to make one last change by swapping my son's brand new 22" rear tires for my 20" tires. That's a full two inches plus a drop on the front sprocket. Oh, my!

Yes! Someone did go away embarrassed... But, it wasn't me. I absolutely crushed that TRX520! No chance at all for the Honda. I took him on the hole shot. I took him from 40 to top speed. I pulled him in all gears. As a matter of fact my top speed was so high that I would put a 1/4 mile between on us on the long runs. But folks I don't recommend the 22" tires and sprocket drop for your youthfull son's machine. This thing topped out somewhere in the 90's. Uhm, no kidding. I was laying on the tank! "This is retarted" was the phrase that kept crossing my mind. At top speed for a few moments on the long dirt roads and the Honda was not in sight.

I HAD ROOM FOR ERROR. MISS A SHIFT? NO WORRIES JUST KEEP GOING... MY DS650 FREIGHT TRAIN FEELS LIKE IT WILL REEL IN THE SPACE SHUTTLE.

I am absolutely sold on the quality of the kits that HP Research sells. NO major tuning, it runs better than it did stock. Quality of the throttle response is superior to stock. Quality of the parts is superior to stock and the seat of the pants feel is remarkable. Machine wheelies at will in first, second and third with taller tires and sprocket change. I can't imagine a use for a faster machine. Anything more is not trailable in my opinion. If you have any doubts lose them. If you don't believe me spend the $2500, install the parts, take it for a ride. You will ask no more questions.

Oh, and if you plan on the swap... Just order the upgraded clutch. I wasted my stock clutch in less than three hours riding time. DESTROYED!

HP Research has done their homework!

Old 11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

welcome to the form, great story. you'll have to put up some pictures.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Very glad to hear that you GOT U SUM [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forums![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats, unfortunately the dreaded "it" has now started. I love it when people eat their words.
Justin

Old 11-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Wow! That's humblilng,
thanks Jim

Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

This is another great story. I hav'nt done anything inside the engine yet and I know what ya mean. I weigh 140lbs and on my ds with what I have done to it, it is a very wild ride. Since the 15t front sprocket and pipe, my ds launches like a rocket compared to stock, I can't wait to get the carb on. On a dirt dragstrip with holeshots my ds spin halfway before getting any traction, and I don't just mean spinning, it spins so bad that it is'nt funny and by the time I get to the end it is flying. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the story. RUSS

Old 11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have a simaliar story from this weekend. There was this Banshee all decked out in chrome, extended swingarm, drag pipes that no one would race up the hill, so I said screw it and gave him a go. I was neck and neck with him through five races and on the sixth I beat him. He was not happy to say the least, I mean dude could'nt have weight 150lbs. To his credit he had just bought it and said he was not used to riding it yet(which was probably the case because he should have stomped me).I also put a couple of new 700 Raptors in there place, kind of funny, you know the type of guys that after they get beat they just hall butt and leave don't stop and talk, I guess thats better than listening to there excuses. My DS has a Lectron, Mr. HP 12.1 piston, ported intake, Mr HP exaust tip, Ron Woods CDI, air box removed with K&N.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
Wow! That's humblilng,
thanks Jim
LOL ya aint had a humble moment in your life[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Get you sum of that 100% race porting and then you will see how rediculously fast that baby will be. I only have one regret about the 730 big bore race everything, and that is i should have upgraded all 3 of my bikes at the same time. My new 05x and 03 viper do not get ridden at all. they are just to slow. I take them to pismo with me anyway just in case i need a tye rod or a seat latch or some stupid part like that. Who knows with my birthday coming up and crhistmas on the way the rest of my parts might just magically apear. You cant go wrong with HPresearch. And this is from a 300lb rider.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome story....

But remember, when you 'drop' your countershaft sprocket you get LESS top end speed and more 'off the line' response.
So to go to a larger counter shaft, you'd get more top end.

I think my stock DS was a 16 or 17 counter with a 38 rear... and top speed on asphalt and my GPS was only 82mph.

Anyway... nice to hear you spanked the Honda!! I'm a proud Honda owner... and DS owner, however my DS is on 4... and my Honda on 2 (CRF450).

Money well spend it seems.... Awesome!

Quick Reply: HP Research DS650 VS. $13,000 520TRX Honda