CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lights for night riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights for night riding

it comes with everything you need, ie ballast, starter, wiring, bulb for 199.99 from HIDStore.com

Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Joeygo For some of us, we just don't see as well as we used to at night.
I'd have to say... this is the scary part of your question. If you can't see well at night... it might make it worse with MORE light then less. It's kind of a true statement if you really do have a hard time seeing... if you don't, you'll have no idea of what I'm talking about....

But here's my idea and I can see really well day or night. (night plays mad tricks on ya!);

I use HID. Can't go wrong with them unless your running Baja 1000 kind of terrain and need to rely on your lighting. And your HIDStore recommendations are pretty good for what your looking to do. (replacing the stock bulb with an HID ballast/igniter and bulb is your best bet and less costly for cost to lighting wattage "bang for your buck" scenario).

I ran the Hella Rallye 4000 as a main light (my stock light had broken and was discarded - see my profile) and my 'baja' lights were also HID Store, however the 3.5" lights. Killer lighting for night rides... and amazing at the speeds I could carry with no issues. However, at times... (even after my DS was completely underwater at one time) I've had issues with my ballasts/igniters and lost lighting. The only major drawback to HID... is reliability.

Halogen is most reliable... and easiest to replace. Less costly... but SUCKS compared to HID. I don't care who has 55W lights, or 100W lights mounted on their stuff... HID is superior. Light for light. If you run a couple of Halogen 55W bulbs in your Baja lights and a main 100W bulb... you'd be okay. However, your tail light (and if equipped whip light) has to be really small... like a 5W. Otherwise, running Halogen just isn't enough light for anyone wanting to get out of 3rd gear at night, not with stock stators... In my opinion.

Anny up and buy HID... you'll love the light output.
I've never used Trail Tech's lights... however, small and compact... easy to mount... but so damn expensive for what you get. I can't imagine a small light with little reflectors amounting to much like a full fledged HID off-road light or an HIDStore 3.5" light.

Good luck... and grab your wallet!

Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

OK lets scare me here , soooooooo on a 2001, what is max wattage to run, I have been running on teh aux 2 100watts and on the main a 100high/50low

Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
OK lets scare me here , soooooooo on a 2001, what is max wattage to run, I have been running on teh aux 2 100watts and on the main a 100high/50low
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Thats 300w just in lights with the high beams on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Stator output is claimed 290w and this is not till above ~3000rpm. You have to figure what other draws you have like the ignition, fan, rear lights, tach, etc.

I used to run the 55/100w main and 55w x2 baja lights. It worked great for me but I kept it on low beam if the rpms were low.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

You guys run HIDs... you wouldn't have to worry about your wattage like that.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

HID compares to a 35W Halogen draw on amperage.

Imagine the charging capability of a 260W stock stator (you need to minus for engine requirements which can be up to 40-60watts).... when your only running (3) 35W lights. But you've got the light output comparable to something more like 900watts!!!

Do the math... it speaks for itself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

As long as we are on the subject, if anybody would like a diagram on how to safely wire up a set of auxillery lights I put some info together and you can find it on eagles site for those circuit challanged folks.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

I run two 35 watt HID bulbs in the stock headlights and two HID 30 watt in the stock Baja lights. The ballasts will fit under and behind the stock headlight housing and under the plastic.

I run EFI which uses over 100 watts, so I just had my stator changed to 400 watts so I can put a third set of HIDs on the handlebars so the lights will turn when the bars turn.

A stock DS without EFI should be able to run 4 HID lights. The stock stator is rated at 290 watts by BRP but testing on several different DS's showed, in reality, the stock stator was about 240 watts, which is still considerably more that any other sport bike out.

Contact KMS performance for the stator.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Nice AZ... nice!

I'd like to hear how the 30Watters work in those tiny stock Baja lights... They seem so small to put anything into... let alone an HID. And... what'd they cost, who from... etc?

My 'replacement' bomb will get a set here real soon... let me know!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

ditto on the wal-mart lights, they fir under my shrouds and are bright as he$$. only 55 watts each so its not that bad. same size as the baja lights.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime
Nice AZ... nice!

I'd like to hear how the 30Watters work in those tiny stock Baja lights... They seem so small to put anything into... let alone an HID. And... what'd they cost, who from... etc?

My 'replacement' bomb will get a set here real soon... let me know!

The cost does not matter if you are an avid night rider. The way the lights perform is well worth the money. I think you will pay about $500-$600 a pair for bulbs and QUALITY ballasts/igniters. DON'T get the cheaper stuff, as you will pay for it later.

The HIDs bulbs fit in the Baja lights, as they now make H3 size HID bulbs!

Contact Rob at HIDstore.com for info.

I am getting my front fixed as I wrecked and he had to special order my replacement bulbs. He is low on light kits as everyone wanted to put HIDs on their bikes.

He said he is having a little trouble right now getting his light kits due to the Christmas rush for shipping. It seems everything comes from overseas these days. He said he will have more stock after Christmas. Give him a call and see if he has any kits left.

Quick Reply: Lights for night riding