CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A little nervous

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little nervous

I'm ready to tear into my carb to change the needle setting and the main jet. Any helpful things to look for? I already know the screws that hold the bowl on are a real pain to get off.

Are the cables hard to remove?
Can I do this work without removing the carb for the quad?

I'm also changing out the slip on exhaust. Is it easier to remove the exhaust with the rear plastick removed?

I'm going to be heating up my garage real soon to take this on. It's 13* out right now, I figured this would be a good time to do it. Thanks for any help that I will receive and I'm sorry if this has been beat to death [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

It has been a very long time since i messed with the stock carb. But I would remove the carb if i were you. This being the first time the bowl screws will be coming off and all. And as iM sure you have read. Replace them with stainless allen head screws. The cable is easy to remove. Keeping the cover gasket in place on reasembly is tricky. Use needle nose vice grips on the bowl screws to break them loose. Don't tear the diaphram when ya remove or reinstall it.
Shouldn't have to remove the plastics at all for an exhaust change.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

I personally found it easier to do my first jetting job with the carb on the bike (just a bit less work). The carbs are really relatively simple. Do you know what you need to adjust? (probably needle/main?) needle is no biggy at allas its right on top. I would say as long as you can get the screws broken loose (I was able to with some needle nose vice grips) then give it a shot on the quad. Loosen up the clamps and rotate the bottom of the carb up toward you a few degrees, that will help let you see under the float cover.

You dont need to pull the plastics to do exhaust as eaglecollector said. If you are just doing the slip on, its really very simple. Pull the 3 springs and loosen the two bolts and then wiggle the slip on off the header.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Thanks guys, your making me feel better about doing this. Heat is on in the garage now.... Wish me luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Hey topper. The exaust springs are kinda hard to get off due to the fact that they have quite the pressure. I had real good luck using a piece of weld wire, make a good loop with the wire and pull the end of the springs off that way. I also use a good pair of pliers that wont slip off the wire. Getting the springs off is not as hard as trying to get them back on. No matter how you do it, it wont be any fun. RUSS

Old 12-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Iv'e played with exhause springs so mych in the past that I bought a spring puller [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'm set there, just a little concerned with the carb.....

I'm use to working with flat slide carbs too, the DS doesn't have a flat slide does it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Guys come back!!!!!!!!!!!! I took the top of the carb off to get to the needle and one of those %$#& screws wanted to strip out on me! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, %$#& soft screws! After I removed the top plate, the long large spring, I pulled the diaphram out. I put some needle nose pliers down in the middle and pulled off the cap that exposed a small spring and the top of the needle. All that for nothing..... It was where I needed it to be [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I put it all back together (I need to buy a new screw.... looks like a 5 year old tried to remove it) After I got that far I loosened (sp?) up the intake boots to rotate the carb to one side. I don't think there is any way I will be able to remove the bowl to get to the main jet. I'm nervous trying to remove the carb. How do I disconnect the throttle cable? I think I will need to do that first in order to remove the carb. Please help as soon as you can.... I'm at a stand still until I get some direction [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Is there a micro fish somewhere out there in cybor space to use as a refrence? HELP!!!!!!!!

BTW: Are the screws that are top the exact same as the bowl screws? Same size and all? If so I can remove one to go buy some new ones from Fasonall (sp) before they close...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Breath deep! It will all be alright [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

First off the screw sizes are different. If you cant get the bowl screws to move, then yes you are going to need to just pull the carb. I have never pulled the cable off from the carb, just from the throttle. If you look on the side of the carb (header side) you will see where the cable goes into the carb (covered with a rounded traingle type shaped cover) that has I beleive 3 screws on it. Take those 3 screws off and the cover will come off. Becareful, because there is a small red o-ring that seals that plate (just make sure not to lose it). You will then see where the cable connects. I havnt touched my stock carb in so long I dont remember exactly ,but you should be able to discconect the cable from in there.

Go get these screws (I bought SS as they are not as buttery as those stock crap screws)

Stainless steel, socket head cap screws (allen head)

For the top
* Qty 2 - M5 x .8mm (pitch) x 8mm long

For the bottom
* Qty 1 - M4 x .7mm (pitch) x 14mm long
* Qty 3 - M4 x .7mm (pitch) x 10mm long

If you cant find one or the other (14 or 10) you should be able to run 4 of either.

Im hunting down the carb diagrams right now ill post if I find them*
Alright I found the diagram on the net

http://www.quinnsmarina.ca/bombardie...carburator.htm

Should help a bit.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Topper check your PM

Old 12-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default A little nervous

Thanks for everyone helping me out. A HUGE thanks to Kieth; AKA Scatterbrain! Without him I doupt that I could have finished it up. I had a HECK of time with all the screws on the carb! Butter is a good way to explain them. Then I spent a good 1 1/2 hours looking for fricking screws to replace all of them. I got lucky and found them in town. It's all together now and up and running. I'm sure next time it will be real easy to re-jet. Again a big THANK YOU Scatterbrain! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Edit: Thanks Roost for the size of the screws, that was a big help too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: A little nervous