CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Piston Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Install

You definitely have to remove the starter so you DID GOOD! Yea, most of us in the build world simply notch the top of the frame so that the head clears. Mine looks factory and is painted to 99.9 percent of an exact match (where the cross member was cut). You would have a challenge on your hands trying to determine that it wasn't stock. With the notch, I can pull a head in about an hour. Replace a head, including cams and timing in about 2hours.

You didn't have to throw a hone in there, in fact I would have suggested that you DIDN'T. You don't want to hurt the Nick. Listen to Bomb on the gapping the rings thing. It can get you into trouble real quick if you don't. Make sure when you put the jug back on (or maybe you already did that) you are careful not to damage the wipe rings. They are easy to damage if they come out of the grove when installing the jug.

Take your time, and if you think you are going to be doing this alot, notch your frame. The bolts were probably locked for the washing you do. If you have hard water, which I'm sure you do being in Havasue, it kind of locks things down a bit. Cleaning up the head will help, but remember.... if you know how to do that kind of work, work on your intake as well. It's a good time to do it.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Thanks for the help. I was just smoothing my piston top, so much better. The JE is detonation sharp edged pop up. Its also over what they spec for compression. HPR sent me an additional thicker base gasket to correct it. Put my rings on now. The JE rings are very basic, no tapered edge on either of the top 2. Also no dot for this side up....but there is an N maked on top of each so I used that as the this side up.

The hone was just a light job, he said even his other hone tool didn't do much to it. Just by looking at it, its obvious it didn't do much.

My rings are set to .020, had the machine shop do that at the same time.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

It's all done! It sounds very different out the pipe. I took it on a 15 minute very mild cruise around my house. No leaks, no odd noises, fired right up.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Went for another ride and I am just amazed at the pull it has all over the RPM range. I just cant get over the sound out the pipe.....more compression obviously gives it a tighter thump sound. Maybe its the piston being lighter and it revs quicker.

Has anyone else instantly noticed the different sound the first time you started up your higher compression piston?

Could it be my new dual valve springs? I just remember the stock THUMP THUMP THUMP was very deep.

I doubt its my head porting doing that.

I guess it shouldnt be any different than a 12 to 1 small block V-8 sound difference.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default Piston Install

My stock bore thumps pretty dang hard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

You funny guy ha ha ha. You havent heard a stock piston bike in years to know what I am talking about.

I wanted to know if anyone noticed the serious change in exhaust when going up in compression.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Darren, I have a stock bore now stage 2 w/ port job.. My 720 blew up... My new stock bore motor pumps just as hard if not harder than my 720.

Hey since we have similar mods now we can race....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Yeah, sure I will give you a head start! But you run your paddles backwards! Similar mods.....I bet your pushing a 14 to 1 or something and have your timing all jacked. Plus your bike is naked. But hey, I will let you win once at least.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

I just put a set of wisecos in my stock bore KFX700.. I've never touched an enigne before.. If I can do it anyone can... Definitely check the ring gaps.. mine were .004 out of the box!!! LOL Also dropped in a set of fundy cams... man what a difference... I hope to meet you on the dunes ANNIHILATER.. I filmed your bike racing a fundy power sports KFX on thankgiving weekend (dumont). fast bike indeed.... you are not running nos am I correct?

If you are not running juice you'll take me easy.. as I am not.. I saw you tie or lose ever so slightly to the fundy bikes.. but they were juiced.

Anyway.. I'll keep an eye out for you... I'll be there saturday for test and tune.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Hey Metal thanks, I think I saw your bike out there. I had a pilot riding my bike but I was there And I know what races you were talking about. Those Fundy bikes are sick!! I would give anything to see them vids, I want people to see how fast them fundy Vs are. Can you post them by any chance? I can learn alot about my set up and gearing by the vids, We didnt get a chance to get the runs on Video I think it was windy... And No I am on just motor... Stock bore no nos.. Since that weekend my bike has lost alot more weight. We will have to hook up, Sounds like your bike is fast. I need to get out there and try a few things, Do you have a radar gun? Could you pilot my bike? If you dont mind how much do you weigh in at?

Quick Reply: Piston Install