CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Best CDI for stock engine???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best CDI for stock engine???

I have an 04 DS650 with mod quad tip and jetted. I only rides dunes and after breaking it in, i been hitting the rev limiter often. What options do I have for this annoying rev limit? I think vortex or MSD is overkill for my somewhat stock engine, any advise?

Old 01-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the Vortex. It might be overkill right now, but it will be good from mild to wild mods. Just don't go the cheap route and end up costing yourself more money in repairs from it.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I agree, I been reading and the cheap CDIs may end costing me more in the long run.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

had a vortex and rwr rwr iprefer little cheaper to

Old 01-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't expect much by bumping the rev limit on a stock cam bike. I have put my Vortex from my stage II on my stock DS with endcap and could not really tell any difference. If your always banging the rev limiter then you really should be shifting a little earlier. 8000+ RPM is not where a stock cam DS makes its power.

You will see bigger gains putting that $400 towards a carb. Just my opinion.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with DSengineer about the carb being a better investment. What gears are you running (front/Rear sprockets)?

A slight change in gearing for your riding conditions could help a lot. Lowering a bit could help you to do more things in the midrange of 3rd instead of at the top of 2nd or raising could give you a few more rpms at the speeds you travel.

Just a thought,

Ron

Oh yeah, are you running paddles? or stock tires?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Running stock gearing and 20" rear paddles. I'm not necessarily looking for more power, just that I guess I'm used to my cannondale and the DS needs to be shifted earlier as it doesn't rev as well. What annoys me is hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

The TM45 on my stock bike was the biggest change for me, all the others were small gains in comparison. Cams are next [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If you are going to shell out 400 bones go with the carb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Jeremy the question I need to know is what do you plan to do to this bike down the road. if you are planning to build it down the road. than yes go with the vortex. But if you are going to leave it stock internally I would reccommend the Big Gun.

I had the same problem as you. hitting that rev limitor at 7000rpm is a pain in the ****. The Big Gun will give ya another 1000rpm and change your timing curve a little. It really made a world of difference on my DS. I have piped and jetted mine and for your application this is the way to go.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

jerry, i have the 04 baja with the same set up and had the same problem all the time..

leaning toward vortex as it would be the only real choice, but i have been with this set up for a while now and seeing that you need to shift sooner cause if you are up that high you are not taking advantage of the power, practice shifting sooner and ride it for a while before you make a choice...just a thought..

Quick Reply: Best CDI for stock engine???