CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Starter O-Ring, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter O-Ring, HELP!

OK, so I finally got some time to look into my oil leak at the starter. I pulled the starter and it has to be the o-ring leaking. After doing a search I found that some of the other forum members had a similar problem. VEGAS650, DuneMe, and SandMan430 were the guys who were mostly involved in the posts, and who were having the problem. I am wondering if there was a concensious on how to really seal the o-ring, or if it turned out to be the o-ring at all. Should I use RTV or some other type of hi temp silicone? VEGAS650 said he replaced his a bunch of times and it never helped. I need to do something...this thing is making a hell of a mess. My o-ring looks a little worn but it was a tight seal coming out. Deffinetly leaking here though. I'm going to get a new o-ring, but should I put on a little something extra to seal? What have you guys done?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I had a prob with that once/ I used the blue RTV and then put a decent bead around the face and then installed starter and let it sit overnight before I started it. It worked for me. I do think I used another different 0-ring though.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking of trying a thicker o-ring that has the same inside diameter, with some hi-temp RTV. I bought the stocker but it won't be here for like a week... $10 for shipping for a $2.50 part... major BS, but I figured I'd try some other things and have the new stocker to fall back on if it doesn't work out. Any thoughts?

Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

most hardware stores carry them. a #19 may work.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

FatHolly, did you ever have the starter out before this problem came up?
I have mine out now and am wondering if there is someethng I should be doing upon installation?

Old 01-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

You got it Scooby. I was at Marshalls Ace earlier today and got what I needed. Its a little thicker than the stocker so I hope it will seal better. It was a tight fit but a little lube and it went in.

Mudnuri - I never had the starter off before the leak. If I was doing a rebuild like you are I would head to ace and find the same inside diameter just a little thicker. I bounced it off the rev limiter for a couple minutes and no leak... I'll let you know how long the seal lasts. If it starts leaking again I am going to seal it with some RTV.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll have to try that #19???

I've got a spare nose piece that I was thinking of having Preacher put a second groove in or something so I could get a better seal. I've kind-a learned to live with the mess but, it sure does get ugly.

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Never did get mine to stop leaking, although I did slow it down somewhat with the ultra blue sealent.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

fatholly I am having this problem now and need to get a new o ring also what size did you wind up going with and also where the clutch chaft comes out is leaking so I need to replace them both.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

It was a #19... I haven't done my clutch shaft yet, its been leaking for the last few rides, but there is a factory seal in there I think so I would order that. Anyway, on the starter o-ring the #19 o-ring is a little larger in diameter than the stocker so its a nice fit. I used a pretty thick film of synthetic grease to seal and help installation and have had no issues since at the starter. The starter is an easy fix.... the clutch shaft seal is another story.... probably why I haven't done that yet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have a new clutch waiting to be put in so I'll do it all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Starter O-Ring, HELP!