CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Looking for reports on EFI - who is running EFI on big bore? (any 730 guys?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for reports on EFI - who is running EFI on big bore? (any 730 guys?)

Alright well 6 of us (obviously not being much into the super bowl) rented out the local indoor mx track again last night. I got the clip for the balljoint under the lower a-arm on and everything seems to be ok (arms were a little tweaked from couple weeks back when the clip went MIA but I cant notice it while riding). Anyway I was having a bit of trouble keeping the idle/lower end of the 48HV happy. It was about 40-45 degrees but I just couldnt get the idle to be happy. First off for those who have the 730 kit, what do you usually idle at? eric or randall if you happen upon this thread, what do you guys reccomend? I ended up with an idle of about 2500 most of the night just so I didnt have to waste track time messing with the idle mixture. I am pretty sure the metering rod was decently close as it revved pretty cleanly only problem was going back down to idle I got some hanging revs every once in awhile.

Anyway, we ride pretty much year round and make at least one trip out west (dunes) every year. With all of our different riding locations/elevations I keep thinking how nice it would be to have EFI. Can the KMS EFI feed the 730? I would assume yes since I would be replacing a 48mm carb with a 48mm throttle body. I assume if the injectors that come with it didnt work out I could always just bump injector size to get everything working properly.

What kind of gain is there over a carb? I know that question is very difficult to answer as not too many carbs are in a perfect state of tune all the time. Because both are 48's is it safe to assume that there will not be much power increase? I would assume even if both had the same peak HP that I would still see a gain in throttle response and HP just because I do not have the tuning skills to get a carb spot on?

I know the new software is tune on the fly which is great, but the little I have heard about the KMS software is that you have to have a laptop hooked up to get a reading for it to tune? Is that just to get a baseline the first time so that it gets close, and then does the fine adjustments from there? If I have it setup for 90* 900ft elevation then we drive out west where its a few thousand feet (and varying, we ride all the way up to 7k in CO) would I have to hook it up to the laptop each time or can I just start it up and it will self adjust?

Also, what throttle setup does the EFI use? Is it a long throw or hard pull? (wouldnt think so) I noticed my thumb isnt conditioned for the moose throttle so its hard getting used to its longer throw. I am actually surprised it gets fatigued so fast... I dont have a problem pulling 60% clutch springs but my thumb is apparently a panzy.

Anyway I have my dream quad now and 1400 isnt really that bad considering the technology. The main reasons I want it are A: always in tune which means best power and best efficiency (we do some long dune rides and id prefer not to have to get the KMS 5 gal tank). Since the motor is always in tune less wear on the engine from being rich/lean which means less chance of detonation or other very bad things. I dont know how many people run n20 with EFI, but seems that would be optimum as your not just hoping your jetting is correct when you shove that n20 down the motors throat. (not that im considering go juice or anythin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Sorry for all the questions, I just dont have much experience with this (and yes I do plan to get in touch with kelly but just wanted some first hand experience from anyone on here who has switched over).

Thanks in advance guys

Old 02-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Looking for reports on EFI - who is running EFI on big bore? (any 730 guys?)

Something isn't right with the tune of the 48HV. It should hold idle just fine when properly tuned and the engine is up to operating temps.

I am running the KMS EFI on my 730. Works great. With the current programing I only bring my laptop with me for diagnosis purposes (ex. if wanted to know the water temp, voltage, ect). Even if I made a change to the required fuel, the ECU would change it to what ever is optimal. There seems to be a few people that have really gotten into the programing. I don't want to touch any of that stuff! I just took what KMS gave me and it runs great.

The thottle uses the stock thumb throttle and cable.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, but check out my website. I did a full write up on the EFI install.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ok great, just went to the site (good site by the way) havnt read the write up yet but it looks detailed.

I know the jetting on the lower circuit (thinking it can be dialed with the idle rpm and idle mixture screws, or possibly the metering rod a hair leaner) is off just a little. I think I could probably get it tuned up or at least close, but didnt want to spend the time at the track (rented by the hour) trying to get the idle right so just got it close and went on riding.

I personally wouldnt touch it either- I know those who know what they are doing can mess with the mapping and get even more power out of it, but being in tune all the time would be enough of a power gain for me!

I do like the idea of running the stock throttle, as it was a shorter pull and super soft as well.