CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hi Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Everyone

Check out the new picture on the bottom/center of my page.
This is the weekend before the GNCC series. The pros were in town including Borich and Natalie. Borich and many others mixed it up with our club. It was COOL! Borich kicked ****!! In the picture I posted I am on my new YFZ. Stock except for Pro Armor nerfs and armor. Look at four pros behind me at the first turn [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
The thumb throttle on the YFZ is nothing like the DS. IT SUCS. I wound up finishing a struggling 8th/14.
I couldn't work the throttle after a while. SUKED!
I think I am going to get a twist throttle 1/2 turn. That or a Bomb throttle!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

We hate you now LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

It isn't the throttle. It's the carb. You have an accelerator pump that adds more resistance.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

I have to tell you, I have been feeling like a traitor. I am a newbie on another site and it is so different. Lot's of children with not so nice replies to whatever. It's like one pot-shot after another. :-) I guess it's not really that bad. This forum is the best group by far.
Whatever it is that makes the throttle hard to operate SUCS. I had a little trouble with it during the break-in, but at race speed it took no time at all to send me to the back of the pack. I would love to say it is the wussy in me, but it IS a problem. Yes, I am out of shape and the wussy was trying to get out, but this was not even funny.
Okay, off to make my living at killing.
B

Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Everyone

mudnuri, the harder you ride the YFZ the stiffer the throttle gets, there is a spring mod you can do that really makes a difference. I have done this and it makes a huge difference, best part is it is free, only your labor.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

Please, tell me more!
I found there is a spring on eBay to ease the throttle but still works the slide in the carb.
As I was riding I kept comparing from what I am used to with the DS.
Things I didn't really like:
I was not as confidant through the whoops. I was not as confidant when jumping. Throttle position and tension. Gear shifter needs to be sticking out just a 1/2" more for my liking. The fuel on/off/reserve valve is located in such a way, up under the plastics, it is difficult to turn. Front tires are good, but I really feel more confidant on Razr 2's diving into a turn.
Things I liked: everything else. This machine is so manuverable through the woods. I owe my speed there to the DS. Without the 2-1/2 years of "training" on the DS, I am able to to move through the trees with ease. I never once felt like I was or might hit a tree.
But that was in the first part of the race. The thumb pump was so bad I could not work the throttle. I was so sad when I felt the cramp coming. I thought " You wussy" as I slowed more and more. I had to stop MANY times. I got lapped by my friend who almost always finishes last or DNF. Everybody was yelling "What's wrong?" as they went by.
So I kept thinking if I had twist throttle this would not be happening and I might lead this race to the finish.
Any of you race with a twist? how much pull or turn is yours? Not drag racing either. I know that eleiminates almost everyone here. LOL!

Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

My yfz riding buddies who race have swapped out their throttles for I beleive the 400ex throttle. I personally hate the stock yfz throttles (among many other features which I wont bring up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) but the throttle on the two that race is a WHOLE lot nicer than my buddies stock throttle - that thing is a bear. Its not so much the pressure required its just the placement of it and my thumb feels awkward on it. If you nobody knows about the 400ex throttle conversion let me know and ill ask my buddies for more info.

Best of luck to ya on that yfz - should be MUCH easier to dart between trees now!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

Yes the ergomnomics of the throttle are not good for me. I keep hearing different remedies like using that Honda throttle or twist throttle. Heck, if it is just a matter of what throttle to use, I will buy a DS throttle. It's what I am used to and it's ergo correct.
So, I will fish around eBay and find one. I ordered the softer spring that goes inside the carb. That along with the DS throttle should put me back in first place and help keep me there.
After that---suspension!!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Everyone

I will try to find a link on the spring mod, you don't cut the spring, just reposition it. You could buy the spring on ebay it has the same results.
Just about any Honda throttle will work, that along with the spring mod will do the trick for you. I have only done the spring mod, and I am good with that.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Everyone

Cool, thanks. I just bought the spring from eBay.
I am confused. I keep reading and hearing I should use the Honda throttle. Why not the DS throttle? It fits me well and is ergonomically good for me. mIs there a reason I should not try one?
Thx