CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need some Lectron help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Lectron help

Not sure if you guys want to help a Raptor owner but I've got a set of Packard alky Lectrons that I'd like to get sorted out by Sicily. There are a lot of Lectron users in this forum, maybe one of you will take pity on my feeble attempt to keep up with the Bombs on my slow Raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I had it running today a couple of times but the "idle speed" was over 5K rpm. I think my problem is the throttle cable, the slides don't go completely closed. I've got a Banshee throttle and a Motion Pro Banshee throttle cable with 90 degree ends. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the cable assembly but both slides are open about 1/2". When I disconnect the single/double cables, the slides close with just the two 90 degree cables attached. Am I correct to assume the single cable is too short or is there an adjustment on the carbs that I can't see? If I can get the idle speed down, I can put it on a dyno Monday evening. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I had originally posted that i had to lean out my Lectron to get it to idle down but after reading the Lectrons tuning instructions more closely i now realize that i was richening it up.I guess assuming that i knew what to do with this carb was not a good idea.In any case i had to turn the air fuel screw in about a full turn to get the idle down.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ubetrun, yep sounds like the cable to me. These should idle down just like any other carb, but they dont run real great at low rpms. I set all mine to about 1600 rpm. Good luck

Old 03-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Any idea why I'd have a cable problem? Nothing is binding and the cables are brand new?

Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Does it get hot quik? Might be too lean on the needles. Try to richen up the needles a turn or 2 and see if you can adjust the idle more...

Old 03-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

It's not running long enough to get hot. I played with the cables this morning and am second guessing my first diagnosis. The slides are within 1/3" of the bottom of the bore, there is no way that's enough fuel to cause those rpms. After talking to a few other guys that never ran Lectrons, a few of us are suspecting that it's lean. We tried pull starting it again just a little while ago. The motor starts but doesn't stay running. If I pump the thumb throttle, it will sometimes run a little longer but never more than 10 seconds. I didn't try holding the throttle open, my Raptor has an override and I have to pull start it in 5th. With only a 25' rope between the quad and my truck, I'm pretty nervous about planting my Raptor into the truck tailgate. I am going to open the slides a little further by adjusting the thumb throttle and top of the carb where the cables enter, wish me luck.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Lectrons are extremely responsive, if the slides are open as little as 1/8 inch it will hit the rev limiter when tuned properly. Your cable needs to let the slides down farther. What size carb and what length is the needle set at?

Old 03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

I was chasing gremlins all day, the Lectron cables were just one "new build" problem to overcome. The inlet fitting on one Lectron cracked inside the boot and was leaking air, that put them on the shelf for the near-term. I'll have to look at some other Lectron setups in Sicily and see where to go, maybe someone will have 40mm spare parts they'll sell.

I have it running again on the FCRs, thanks for all the help!

Old 03-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Glad you got er running again....see ya in a few days, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

I can't wait Scott, it's been too long.

If anyone coming to Sicily has spare 90 degree Lectron cables, I'd like to figure out why mine are holding the slide open. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need some Lectron help