CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

temp guage set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp guage set up?

i just bought a temp guage and i have seen alot of guys pics on here that have the same guage. its the sunpro one that is pretty inexpensive and can be found at any autozone. i am curious how you guys actually hooked it up. pics would be better. e-mail em to me at anziosaint@yahoo.com if ya got 'em. i am wondering if i put a T-connection in the lower supply line off the radiator and have the sensor protruding into the flow of the coolant that it could hurt the flow and maybe cuase some problems? i am not sure what to do. i want zero issues. just want to do it right. any input would be greatly appreciated. what should i do and not do. thanks.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Someone (Sandbomber - hint) needs to put together an instrumentation kit for the DS.

I'ld suggest taking a Digatron with a multi-read-out display and building an alum. dash for it, the key, multiple dummy lights (maybe a few extra) and maybe even add spots for a couple extra switches.

Get the Digatron and mate it with the EGT probe (Thermocouple) then get the Tach add-on and an additional Thermocouple for coolant temp and throw in the fittings and mounting location instructions.

So. . .
EGT
Tach
Coolant Temp

I think they have a 4-line display. . . would you want voltage??? Not sure if you can get that on the Digatron. Either that or Oil Pressure?

Hmmmmm - That would be a sweet set-up and all visable without looking down at your leg to see a coolant gauge.

I've got to think that cost would have to be around $500 easy for this kit but, I'ld think it could be done very clean. A lot easier to justify if you didn't already have a tach.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

uuuummmmmm......... yea. ok, that is a great idea but i just want to know how to use what i have. digi-what?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

One of the few performance parts that I have left.

I have a liquid filled autometer Temp. gauge. (made to withstand lots of vibration) and the part needed to make it work.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have a temp guage on both my raptor and DS, although it is not dash mounted it is still relatively easy to read. I have the heat seeker inline guage and have had zero problems with either setups. If you look at my pictures I have a photo of the guage on my DS. On a side note I have noticed the fan for the DS comes on at about 175deg and on the raptor it comes on at 200deg ?.

Gav

Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Run the gauge sending unit in a "T" in the top hose. That is the one coming out of the engine, to the radiator. That will give you the most accurate engine temp because it is before the radiator where it will cool, and be sent back to the engine.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Someone (Sandbomber - hint) needs to put together an instrumentation kit for the DS.

I'ld suggest taking a Digatron with a multi-read-out display and building an alum. dash for it, the key, multiple dummy lights (maybe a few extra) and maybe even add spots for a couple extra switches.

Get the Digatron and mate it with the EGT probe (Thermocouple) then get the Tach add-on and an additional Thermocouple for coolant temp and throw in the fittings and mounting location instructions.

So. . .
EGT
Tach
Coolant Temp

I think they have a 4-line display. . . would you want voltage??? Not sure if you can get that on the Digatron. Either that or Oil Pressure?

Hmmmmm - That would be a sweet set-up and all visable without looking down at your leg to see a coolant gauge.

I've got to think that cost would have to be around $500 easy for this kit but, I'ld think it could be done very clean. A lot easier to justify if you didn't already have a tach.
I met with digatron last year at Planet Sand drags in La. and they said they would call me and get together!!! They never did[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] there loss!!! I would love to push there stuff