CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CDI goes bad then fan and now rectifier-OLD AGE ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI goes bad then fan and now rectifier-OLD AGE ?

Ok, I know I am getting older and things just do not work as well as when I was younger but could the age of my 01 be an issue or is it possible that the rectifier sent to much current to the other components and caused their demise. First the CDI went, then the fan, and now the rectifier is out. I guess that what is wrong as the DS runs as long as you put a charger on the battery and charge it up. The DS is not charging the battery as you ride, after an hour or so the battery is dead again but can be charged with a trickle charger and rode. Three rides and had to replace something each time. They say bad luck runs in threes so I hope my bad luck is over for now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

if you need a replacement CDI box pm me........it's a used Ron Wood CDI

Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I think if you would have caught the Regulator/Rectifier sooner the other components may have been saved. Too late to tell at this point, sorry.
Did it not give you any indication prior to the CDI? I was having backfiring and stalling issues before we figured out that it was the Reg/Rec. I was out the expense of a battery before we isolated the problem.
The battery we thought was bad sat in the garage for almost 8 months, had another one go bad, put the original on the tender, slapped it in, and it's still working today.

Hopefully you've tracked down the gremlin and exorcised it. Sounds hopeful.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

sounds like the battery isn't good and caused the rec. to go. fans on the 01 just go, good news is do a search and seems it was js something they sell the fan for 60 -70bucks dealer much more.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

It was kind of hard to tell if the rectifier was giving any indication of going bad as I was having problems with the CDI and a ground issue at the same time. As far as the fan, yea, I found through search were you could buy the fan for $70.00. So thats the one I got. Looked just like the factory one to me. Well maybe after this Murphy's Law will quit playing tag with me.