CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whats the best way to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to fix this?

The threads on my axle for the hub nut are all gooned up as I substituted a B.F.Hammer for a press to install the sprocket and brake hub. I tried grinding down the first 2 threads and tapering the diameter so the castle nut would hopefully slide past but even these threads are a little bunged up. I probably still have 8-10 solid threads past the bad ones and I'm sure it'll hold fine if I can only get it past. I'm sure a metric die of that size would be ridiculously expensive and my back is getting sore of bending over to file the threads. Just looking for anyone with a quick solution, otherwise I'll just have to hang in there and take my time on it, or buy an axle if worst comes to it. Thanks

Old 03-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Yep, tapered jewelers files and stones will do the trick and yes it will be time consuming but it will instill the right tool for the job frame of mind that we've all heard so much about.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Have you considered lapping compound? Files are quicker but lapping is more uniform.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

I like those die grinder pads that are like brillo pads, or scouring pads. You have a lot of control over the amount of material you remove. They come in a bunch of different courseness grades from ultra fine to heavy course. They also don't move so much material as to fold over the threads. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Turbods,

Are you useing a Thread file or a flat file? A thread file works wonders, you should be able to find one at Sears or a tool supply house. If you have never seen one they are about 1/2" square and about 8" long four sided with 8 different pitches on them. You just need to know the thread pitch on the axle, someone on the forums might know and chime in. HTH

Ben

Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Excellent, thank you for your input. So does anyone happen to know the pitch on the hub nut? Thanks again!