CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

top speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top speed

i was riding my 01 ds the other day n got onto a long straight away.... so i held it pinned up into 5th gear were i hit the rev limiter n wow that was fast... i was wondering if any 1 knew the top speed of a ds650

Old 03-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default top speed

Well if ur running a 15 tooth front sprocket and 20 inch rear tires....you are not going very fast prob around 70mph.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default top speed

71 mph.............assuming you had no wheel spin at speed.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Range Rover
Default top speed

71mph, assuming you are really hitting the rev limiter..... aftermarket CDI...gearing, tire size..? I've ridden probably 5-6 different DS, all different builds from stock to wild, and not one of them has been able to bounce off the rev limitor in 5th gear on the flats. Your bike must be running better than good!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default top speed

Originally posted by: yfzfryguy
71mph, assuming you are really hitting the rev limiter..... aftermarket CDI...gearing, tire size..? I've ridden probably 5-6 different DS, all different builds from stock to wild, and not one of them has been able to bounce off the rev limitor in 5th gear on the flats. Your bike must be running better than good!
Actually no...a stock ds650 has a low rev limiter and if a stock ds cant hit the rev limiter there is something wrong with it. When i got my baja x which had a higher limiter than the other ds's at 7900 rpms it hit is so damn easy it wasnt funny...up hill against wind whatever it bounced off that thing like no tommorow.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default top speed

Originally posted by: DuneRider650
Originally posted by: yfzfryguy
Actually no...a stock ds650 has a low rev limiter and if a stock ds cant hit the rev limiter there is something wrong with it. When i got my baja x which had a higher limiter than the other ds's at 7900 rpms it hit is so damn easy it wasnt funny...up hill against wind whatever it bounced off that thing like no tommorow.
I don't know.... I have an '02 DS with the lower rev limit and have never hit the limiter in 5th gear. 1st through 3rd absolutly, every time, every gear, but 4th and 5th I just don't have the top end juice. I always thought it was beacuse I was fat that I couldn't hit it. I don't have personal knowledge or experience of sub 300 guys hitting it, as I have not seen the underside of 300 since I was 15 years old. Any way Yfzfryguy might have a point... it hard to bang that limiter in 5th.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default top speed

....you are not going very fast prob around 70mph.
Not very fast huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] You've got me curious as to what fast is now and how many of us ever go fast. I've cruised some bowls at Glamis and Dumont fifth gear pinned but doubt I was ever going 70mph (15t/22"Stars), but it was definitely what I would consider to be fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And Hella fun.

Maybe I'm just a wuss but I can tell you after crashing at 45mph and breaking a hip, shoulder and three ribs, followed by a stroke caused by the Hematoma from the hip injury, followed by open heart surgery, that "around 70" is pretty quick. An the healing process ain't.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Dec 23 1999 an my a$$ is still hurting. Well actually my shoulder. And when they split you down the middle like a Christmas turkey and you're hanging on for dear life while cruising the dunes and your sternum is grinding back and forth it can get annoying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'd say 70mph on an ATV is pretty quick.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Range Rover
Default top speed

Hey, I own a 02' DS-650 Baja. I was clocked last week at 82MPH, were investing in a radar gun just to make sure

Old 03-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default top speed

My 04 DS650X almost stock cept for K&N, will run 70 to 75 mph depending on a few things.
Thats @ Greer Dragway on flat pavement with a radar gun after the 1/8th mile finish line counting the 1/2 mile shut down area. =]

Old 03-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default top speed

Originally posted by: aceisback
....you are not going very fast prob around 70mph.
Not very fast huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] You've got me curious as to what fast is now and how many of us ever go fast. I've cruised some bowls at Glamis and Dumont fifth gear pinned but doubt I was ever going 70mph (15t/22"Stars), but it was definitely what I would consider to be fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And Hella fun.

Maybe I'm just a wuss but I can tell you after crashing at 45mph and breaking a hip, shoulder and three ribs, followed by a stroke caused by the Hematoma from the hip injury, followed by open heart surgery, that "around 70" is pretty quick. An the healing process ain't.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Dec 23 1999 an my a$$ is still hurting. Well actually my shoulder. And when they split you down the middle like a Christmas turkey and you're hanging on for dear life while cruising the dunes and your sternum is grinding back and forth it can get annoying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'd say 70mph on an ATV is pretty quick.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Well my riding is VERY different from almost all of you guys....its all wide open roads and ditches, fields etc. Fast to me is 80+mph and that doesnt even seem fast to me anymore since i am at top speed everytime i ride i get used to the 80mph mark and want to exceed that. I no most ppl do not go top speed anywhere because its mostly all dune riding and trails. As for the 02 ds of fathollys i dunno maybe the 04 and up is a bit faster...i was only around 200 at that time and i am now about 220 and even with my gearing and large tires now i hit the rev limiter on roads easily...in a short time and thats close to 80mph.

Quick Reply: top speed