CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 Won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds650 Won't start :(

whoo, im glad i found u guys. First off, my name is ryan, very glad to be member here. W'ell riding season has begun and the bike I just bought does'nt run. I purchased a 2001 Ds650 for 1900$. It was "AS IS" No returns So I am stuck with it. When I bought it, the guy said the battery was dead so I couldn't start it. I believed him foolishly.

I now have a charged battery and It wont fire up. It turns over fine but just wont fire up. There is fresh gas in the tank and the petcock is flowing. It does'nt even cough. The plugs are fine looking. I tested for spark from the coil wire and there was NONE! I was told it could be the dual coils it has.

How do I know If the coils are bad? Can You test them? What else could it be, CDI box, stator, magneto or anything else. What should I replace first.

I am new to the quads and very eager to learn. I know 2 stroke bikes pretty well if anyone needs help with one. Thanks In advance to anyone willing to help a noob [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Check a fuse that is located under the seat on the side of the air... that should solve it

Old 04-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good one steveo10. I didn't even think of that possibility. I will look for a blown fuse first thing in the morning [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. I can't wait to rip this thing. I hear a lot of good things about bombardier. Thats why I got one.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

HELLO RYAN

You'll want to check the valve clearances. . . really pretty easy to do. Try to make a buddy of someone that knows how to do it and buy a 6-pack and invite him over.

If she starts after warming up (may have to pull start it to get it going) then it is a good chance your valves need to be gapped.

It may be getting spark. . . just tough to see sometimes.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Enjoy... you will have plenty of fun on this bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

nice profile pics guys

Old 04-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum, you'll find a ton of great folks and an incredable amount of worth wile information here. Check your fuse if thats not it post again and I'm sure that someone will be able to offer something up. My first thought was the fuse too, so if its not that then post again on this thread. You are going to love that bike man... good luck.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You guys for the warm invite [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am definately glad to be here. Seems like alot of cool stuff going on around this site. So far I have learned of a couple good places to get parts, and saw some insane profile pics. Good Stuff!

Unfortunately, it was not the fuse. It was good. I tested it with a voltage meter's fuse checker. It still looked good too. I wonder what else it could be.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How did you check for spark? It may just be hard to see spark?

The coils are behind the radiator. I've never heard of a coil failure.

I'm no electrician but, I believe the pick-up off the magneto sends a signal to the CDI which then sends a signal to the coils to fire. . . so, in this loop, the other items that could be bad. . . CDI and Pick-up. HIGHLY doubtful it is the pick-up and I've rarely heard of CDI's that go out. . . I've heard more of people that THINK the CDI is bad and replace them only to find out it is something else.

This thing is a 2001. It is well over-due for a valve clearance adjustment. It is probably not the easiest place to start but, what the heck. . . it's due anyways and if it turns out to be the issue then great. . . if not, at least you know it's good. Keep in mind, this service is recommended after the first 10-hours of use. . . doubt it was ever done. I'ld guess most people don't do it.

This is one of the best links on how to do the valve clearance check.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot if the fuse was blown that it wouldn't even be any power. I dont know how you would check you CDI, but that would be the next thing i would be checkin

Quick Reply: Ds650 Won't start :(