CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Curious on power output on the BAJA DS650

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious on power output on the BAJA DS650

I am having some trouble with the search tonight so i will just post this up..First off let me say this is not a VS thread just curiousity..I am a yamaha man but have been really leaning towards trading my banshee away for a DS..Anyways my 16 year old brother has a bone stock 96 banshee..Well one of his friends from school rode over on his DS650..Well The DS is piped and they had a drag race and the DS650 pulled about 4 lengths on my lil bro in about a 450 foot race..This was very impressive to me as i would have asumed even piped the shee would have nudged it out by a bike or two..Anyways it wouldn't have been so bad but his friend is talking some major Sh@t and even went as far as to call me and challenge me in a race..Little does this guy know that my mid 65+hp shee will pull about 10-15 bikes on lil bro in the same race [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]..Anyways i don't know why i posted the story..I guess it was for justification of asking a question that that has been asked 100 times, but in all honesty the search isn't working for me tonight..Anyways the point of this thread is mainly curiosity of the potential of these DS's..I'm a pretty tall guy and these things seem to be built for a taller frame guy..Anyways any thoughts or ideas on reliable Hp potential of the ds's?

Thanks in advance, LETHA(-.-)FACE

Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider

I got this off a site
How much money to spent is the question.

HP, Costs, and Stages

For more in depth description of parts, go to individual parts pages. Remember, when we talk about hp gains, peak hp is NOT everything. Most of the time, it is the broadness of the hp gains that really make the difference. So when we say 3-5 hp gain, it may only be 3 hp gain at peak but 5-7 hp gains everywhere else (peak hp gains are always the smallest on well designed parts). Some performance parts move the peak hp higher in the rpm range so the peak to peak hp gain may be 3hp, but the gain at the rpm of the new peak hp may be 8hp. Higher hp at higher rpm equals bigger improvements! The hp numbers quoted vary a little depending on your exact application and ongoing improvements. Sometimes we will sacrifice 1-2 peak hp, to make 3-4 hp elsewhere.

Step 1: Carb and Exhaust. To get the most horsepower per dollar spent initially, the 44, 46 or 48mm carb and a good pipe will bring your ds to life (buy the 48 if big bore or porting is in your future). The 48 kit with everything you need to install is $800 (twist throttle). For great bottom end and mid range with some top end gains, get the Top Gun slip on $250 works finish or $325 Stainless Steel. For more top end, but less mid range, the CT is good. These 2 mods will add 8-11hp and take a stock 45hp ds650 to 53 peak hp. If you are running the Monster Drag Pipe, the peak will be 56hp

Step2: Clutch. You are going to need a clutch to hold the new power. Barnett 9 disc $150 + H/D springs $25 + $10 gasket. OR, HPR 9 disc $225 (includes H/D springs).

Step3: Compression. The next best hp per dollar gains. There are a few options. More compression equals more power. One of our best piston kits will add 3-5 hp, but the 730 big bore will add 6-10 hp $1699. If still working in stages due to funds, now would be a good time to install the shim under valve spring kit $350- it will help control the valve train with all this new power, but more importantly, you can drop the cams in later, when the money jar is full again, without removing the head. Our best high compression piston will put you at 56 peak hp (or 59hp with the drag pipe). The 730 big bore will take you to 59 peak hp (or 62hp with the drag pipe)

Step4: Cams and Ignition are the next improvement needed. HR3 cams for the high compression piston cost $400 while HR4 cams for the 730 big bore cost $450. When added on top of a high compression piston, the HR3 cams will gain 3-5hp, peaking at 59hp (62hp with the drag pipe). The HR4 cams will gain 3-6hp, peaking at 62hp (65hp with the drag pipe). This would be a good time to upgrade the cdi since the cams are going to extend your power range. You'll find yourself on the rev limiter alot more often. Vortex programmable $400.

Step5: Porting. Most people want to do this step prematurely, but if you port the engine before adding compression, cams, or carb, you only get about half the power increase, so hp per dollar is less. BUT, after compression, cams, and carb the hp per dollar is much improved. The $1800 big valve cnc digitized porting for 730 big bores will add 10-12 hp!! On a 650cc motor, peak hp will be 65hp (69hp with the drag pipe), but the 730 big bore will now approach 72 peak hp (76 hp with the drag pipe)! There are less expensive options ($300-$600-$1200-$1500) for porting with, of course, less gains.

You will need to leave room in your budget for regearing and better tires along the way and at some point, you are going to want an extended swingarm to keep the front end under control. All this power will overcome the setup very quickly.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what the deal was when i posted this but the search is working for me now..Anyways thanks alot for that

Old 04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

The DS is made for us Economy Sized guys and gals, gotta be PC these days.
the power bands from a Banshee to a DS is like compairing night and day! 2 stroke rev on a midrange top end banshee VS The Torque and rev of the DS.
It all comes down to how much are you willing to pay to play, I know Banshee motors aint cheap to hop up either VS getting 60 plus HP out of a DS aint Cheap Either. I say have both!!!! there is always a need for more toys!!!