CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Av Gas vs Race fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Av Gas vs Race fuel??

Originally posted by: xFreebirdx
Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
Can someone explain the difference between AV Gas, and Race Fuel?
AV gas can be compared to deisel or kerosene. =]

I have worked on airplanes in the past as a FAA certified aircraft mechanic and can tell you that AV Gas (also called 100LL meaning 100 octane Low Lead Content) is nothing like diesel or kerosene...I believe you didn't mean to say it like that. At most public airports (FBO) you will find 100LL and Jet-A are the two fuels availiable. 100LL is for the reciprocating motor aircraft and Jet A is for turboprops and turbojet engined aircraft. Jet A is a heavy grain fuel much like Kerosene of diesel and 100LL is a high octane gasoline formulated for aircraft use. With today's prices, I don't see you saving anything by using 100LL AvGas over Racing fuel. At my local FBO 100LL is amost $4.00 a gallon. Racegas would be better for that price and several other reasons. 100LL shouldn't hurt your motor, but there are better fuels if you are strictly drag racing for about the same price...

As to the info post on Diesels, that is good info...when I was in Haiti in the Marines we ran our HMMVs(Hummers or "the H1") on Jet A as we didn't have diesel availiable, we did add oil to the Jet A though.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Av Gas vs Race fuel??

overrated is correct , that link about using airplane fuel in your car was about"jet fuel" not av gas. I believe av gas also has some added cooling agents that dont get along with most engines. jet fuel can be run in a diesel engine and is very similar to diesel but av gas is aviation gasoline .