CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My first ride with my HPR equipped stock bore!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ride with my HPR equipped stock bore!!!

I have a 2003 Baja that i just got back from the builder and i am pleased.Just for informations sake i have a Lectron 46 hv.ported intake,big gun cdi,ODP disced end cap,HPR HR3 CAMS,HPR lightweight piston at 11.5:1,and no toil filter.I am posting this to give my opinion on wether or not it is worth the money do do these mods and after my first ride at the dunes i would say oh yeah!!!This may not be the fastest drag machine but what a great power delivery for a dune quad.I was concerned about losing some bottom end with the HR3 cams but that is not an issue.I was able to slowly negotiate slow wooded sand trails and flat rip it up on the open sand.My only other add on may have to be an extended swing arm but for now it is manageable.Cruising along in second gear and hitting third hard was very impressive for such a heavy quad, plenty responsive and pulls very strong.I am using 9 paddle 22-11-10 extreme haulers and for the sand conditions today(80% dry)they seemed to be just about right.It was hard to not totally hammer the throttle for extended periods but after tomorrows break in session i can go for it.There is quite a bit of discussion on these forums about the Lectrons tunability for lack of a better word but i am finding it to be more forgiving to changes than any other carb i have ever used on any machine after thirty years of riding.Well back out tomorrow for more break in time ,it should be a good time.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Keep us updated duneittilludie on how she runs after the breakin, hows she compare power wise to your 690? I am a bit like you in having a raptor and a DS, I seem to be spending more and more time on the DS, the comfort of the DS gets us old blokes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Gav

Old 04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

raptorgav-It is too soon to tell how the DS will do against my 690 but it should be close.My 690 is built well and performs very well on the drag hill but with some time to tweak here and there with my Baja who knows.As far as the comfort of theDS i agree they are hard to beat and with me just turning 48 comfort is good.I will post any more information i have good or bad once i get the Baja fully broke in.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Hey dune, did you try that lectron before you did the engine work? I have been reading all the post's on different carb options and now I am even more undercided which carb works the best, I am a dunes only rider, although we do have some tight sand track riding. Currently I have the stock carb with a few mods from FREEZ (thanks freez) and she goes real well, can't fault the carb at all, pulls hard, never a hesitation or miss, real light throttle, real happy although always wonder if the carb upgrade is as good as I hear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Gav

Old 04-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

raptorgav-Yes i did try the Lectron with a ported intake before my internal mods.Just the Lectron and ported intake made the biggest difference that i have ever seen from bolt ons.The Lectron is good for low speed riding and incredible for wide open duning.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I told myself when I bought the baja that I would not modify this bike at all, now I want pipes, carb upgrade, noss, where does it end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Wonder how the two 39's off my rappy would go ? Might try the lectron and topgun slipon, should wake the old girl up a bit. Dune, did you purchase the lectron as a kit from HPR and how does the throttle pull compare to the stocker?

Gav

Old 04-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

raptorgav-Yes i did buy the Lectron and ported intake from HPR.The throttle i got with my Lectron is a vortex twist so it is of course very different from the stock throttle but i like it.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dune,

I will be at the big race hill just outside of Frontier at 1:00 tomorrow. I have a grudge match with the Klug boys, lol. We're doing some further testing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Want to meet up?

Ron

Old 04-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

DSNUT-I will try to find you.Where exactly are you talking about?I will still be taking it pretty easy on the Bajas new piston but a good grudge match is always fun to watch.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
I have a 2003 Baja that i just got back from the builder and i am pleased.Just for informations sake i have a Lectron 46 hv.ported intake,big gun cdi,ODP disced end cap,HPR HR3 CAMS,HPR lightweight piston at 11.5:1,and no toil filter.I am posting this to give my opinion on wether or not it is worth the money do do these mods and after my first ride at the dunes i would say oh yeah!!!This may not be the fastest drag machine but what a great power delivery for a dune quad.I was concerned about losing some bottom end with the HR3 cams but that is not an issue.I was able to slowly negotiate slow wooded sand trails and flat rip it up on the open sand.My only other add on may have to be an extended swing arm but for now it is manageable.Cruising along in second gear and hitting third hard was very impressive for such a heavy quad, plenty responsive and pulls very strong.I am using 9 paddle 22-11-10 extreme haulers and for the sand conditions today(80% dry)they seemed to be just about right.It was hard to not totally hammer the throttle for extended periods but after tomorrows break in session i can go for it.There is quite a bit of discussion on these forums about the Lectrons tunability for lack of a better word but i am finding it to be more forgiving to changes than any other carb i have ever used on any machine after thirty years of riding.Well back out tomorrow for more break in time ,it should be a good time.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: My first ride with my HPR equipped stock bore!!!