CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2005 Outlander 400 XT - too cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Outlander 400 XT - too cheap?

First let me tell you I am new to the forum. I did plenty of searches and reading before this post. I ride on and off road for many years. I have a CRF250x and a recon to putt around on. The Recon is basically sold, so......

I looked at a used 05 400 XT this weekend - owned by a young kid around 20. Purchased late November 2005, has extended warranty, etc. It already has over 800 miles on it, and is all scratched up. Pretty good bend in the rear bumber next to the tail light. Needs front brakes, and the rear tires will only make it this summer. He just had the oil changed at the dealer and they put on a new belt.

He has it listed for $4800, but is willing to entertain offers. He even called me back last night to see if I want to make an offer.

He tells me his parents are making him sell it because he got a ticket from the DEP for riding illegally. Quad riding in CT is pretty tough right now, the DEP is really cracking down so nobody seems to want to buy it, or, people are looking at it and it is just beat.

Back to the quad - there is a little muddy water in the bottom of the air box, but the filter is clean. Under the seat there is all kinds of mud and leaf crap, and the front trunk has a lot of sand in it.

So what can be wrong with it? Battery, voltage regulator? Is the VR covered under warranty. Looks like the thing has seen some serious swamps. It runs good and strong, visalok works, lights, etc. Couple of minor dings in 3 of the rims (steel, correct). What about any other front end components? What could be worn/broken, and what is/is not covered under the warranty? There is a decent dent in the center of the main frame member, but nothing that looks too serious. The winch cable is in good shape, he said he used it once or twice, to pull his buddy out.

So what is a good offer? I know from what I have read that they are awesome machines. I don't want to get stuck with a money pit. Do I low ball or walk away?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

If you don't want to get into a money pit, I would say stay away. The problem is he has visibly used it in some pretty rough conditions, but how rough? You don't know, but a few visible indicators tell you that this quad isn't worth the asking price. Here's some good advice, if it looks rough, it is rough.

It's not a good enough price for a beat quad. I would say $4000 tops.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and stay away. I bet youll find a better ride in the future.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

ya definately going to be money pit and with the condition its in you wont be able to get hardly anything for it if you decieded to sell it later on so i would say search around and try to find a good dealer that has 05's he needs to get rid of and try to get a good price on a new one out of them heck if the drive to illinois is worth it we'll make ya a heck of a deal

Old 05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

My 2 cents:
These guys are giving you VERY good advice. I would stay away from this thing like the plague.
If you really want to kill your time, offer him $1500 for it.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE - Yesterday I called the dealer he got it from and just had it serviced recently at. They say the thing checks out. They changed the oil, and checked the belt - it didn't need one. Told him it needed brakes soon. The owner wanted to have the dealer sell it for him (which they had already told me) and the dealer was kind enough to fill me in on the entire negotiation. The dealer would have had to fix the brakes before it could be sold, so the cosmetics, plus the barkes, and 10% commission put it right around $4,000 to the owner if the dealer was to sell it (and get 4500/4600 for it). The dealer thought that $4,000 would be a fair price for both the buyer and seller. They also didn't think 800 miles in 6 months is a lot of miles.

I appreicate all the feedback, I am leaning to STAY AWAY, but for $4,00 tops, not a penny more, it may be worth the chance. Remember, there is only a chance that something could be wrong, the machine may be fine and last for years.