CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Methanol?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol?

Talk to me about it. Whats the benefits and the downsides? How do you go about purging it? Does it burn about the same rate as alchol? How are the lectrons on methanol? Any hints or tips are more than welcome. Yes I did a search just didnt find all that I was looking for!!

Old 05-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Forgot, is it safe to run methanol with nos????

Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Methanol?

Benefits= Power (when warm or hot) and cooler running engine. Might have a slight edge on price; but I have not delt with the stuff in a long time. (Use to be 1/2 the cost of gas) But you use 2x the amount so it's even.

Downsides= Use almost 2x's as much fuel so you better have a BIG tank if you go trail riding. Can't leave it in the tank or carb for any amount of time, especially if it is humid. Hard to light off. Not much advantage in cold weather. Hard on lower end if you don't change the oil a lot or if you over fuel it. Corrosion on all parts that come in contact with it. Can't get it everywhere like gas.
Oh; and you can't tell if your on fire until your buddy see's you dancing around!!!!!

Methanol is alcohol, they are synonymous. Ethanol is alcohol too..........the kind you can drink.

Don't know about the letrons.

On a cool to cold day I can make almost as much power as the alky boys. On a warm to hot day we get waxed by them, power wise.

Yes, you can use alky with N2O. You have to set the system up for it though because the system uses 2x's the fuel on alky. Therefor you need a big solenoid on the alky side.

Tip: If you run alky in the engine and gas in the N2O system you will make more power than alky on both or gas on both.

Got most of it for ya.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
Benefits= Power (when warm or hot) and cooler running engine. Might have a slight edge on price; but I have not delt with the stuff in a long time. (Use to be 1/2 the cost of gas) But you use 2x the amount so it's even.

Downsides= Use almost 2x's as much fuel so you better have a BIG tank if you go trail riding. Can't leave it in the tank or carb for any amount of time, especially if it is humid. Hard to light off. Not much advantage in cold weather. Hard on lower end if you don't change the oil a lot or if you over fuel it. Corrosion on all parts that come in contact with it. Can't get it everywhere like gas.
Oh; and you can't tell if your on fire until your buddy see's you dancing around!!!!!

Methanol is alcohol, they are synonymous. Ethanol is alcohol too..........the kind you can drink.

Don't know about the letrons.

On a cool to cold day I can make almost as much power as the alky boys. On a warm to hot day we get waxed by them, power wise.

Yes, you can use alky with N2O. You have to set the system up for it though because the system uses 2x's the fuel on alky. Therefor you need a big solenoid on the alky side.

Tip: If you run alky in the engine and gas in the N2O system you will make more power than alky on both or gas on both.

Got most of it for ya.
Doc,

I am intrigued by your last statement. Do you mean alky in the tank, then an auxilery reservoir of racegas to inject with the NOS? So you have Alky, gas and NOS all going into the intake at the same time when you are on the button?

Ron

Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Thanks, Doctor. Talked to a dealer today and he kept bringing up running methanol. I was asking about prices of race gas but never got the price from him. But he did tell me that the methanol was around $3 a gallon. I have been tossing the alcohol idea around but really hadnt thought about the meth.

I change the oil on my bike about ever third trip to the dunes, would that be suffiecent for meth. or would I need it more often? How about purging the system. The dealer was telling me to use some super unleaded with a little oil mixed into it. Does that sound about right for purging?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Yes, I know a guy running this exact set up on a 4 mill cheetah.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Hasn't given up on the 660 just yet...
Default Methanol?

Alcohol is the way to go. If the carbs are setup correctly you should not ( milk )the oil. Runnig a top end lube in the fuel is a must.
Instead of Nitrous Oxide why not consider Nitro Methane? Nitro is pretty stable whith methanol unlike race fuel.Just make sure you are POSITIVE on the ratio when you mix it up and rejet accordingly.
Its a heck of allot cheaper to run methanol than oxygenated race fuel. If you buy a 55gal drum usually you can get it just under 3 bucks a gallon.

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Methanol?

These guys are all correct, when I was running methanol I did not want to switch back. It is a trade off, do you want to do a little extra work for more HP, (lol) I DO! I am not familiar with lectrons, but with the TM48 I would just pull the gas line off at the tank, I had a little gas bottle with a tip I would stick in the fuel line and let it run for a min, it would run like crap because you are jetted so fat. I never had problems with alky in the oil, it is all in the set up.
As everybody has mentioned run it when it is warm outside.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Methanol?

DSNUT, yep, all three at once when your on the button. Any yes you will need a separate tank if you go this route. There is a danger of running out of fuel on the N2O system if you do this with a small fuel tank.
To prevent this just run a normally closed Hobbs pressure switch on the fuel side. Set it for 4.5 PSI to open and your safe and set to prevent any problems. I do this to all systems to prevent problems in case the fuel pump quits while I'm on the button.

1BigDSRider I can't tell you how often to change your oil. Depends on a lot of things. I'm sure someone else can give you better advice than me on this subject. When it starts to get milky it's time for new oil though.

As far as purging goes we just used plain old regular gas with nothing in it. Just gave it gas to suck up and when it started to blubber and the black smoke started to roll out of the pipes we clicked it off. Done deal.

1BigDSRider, here is my 2 cents on alky.
If your just a rec. rider I would not go this route. It just takes a lot of time and monkey motion.
If you are a serious rider and want every ounce of power then sure, it's cool stuff. Even more, you can really get wild and dump 5 or 10% of nitro in it to really have fun!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Doctor, Im a hardcore drag racer in a fatmans body. I have a huge need for speed. I know I wont be the fastest but Im looking to level the playing field. My bike has gone on a diet and Im looking at options for more power. Nos is in my future, I consider it a great equalizer.

As for what type of fuel I will be running im not sure just yet. Race gas is my first option. But Im not ruling out anytype of fuel. Im one of those guys always looking for more power. Just have a budget that doesnt allow me to go crazy.

Thanks for everyones response. Keep throwing those options out there. Im considering them all.

Quick Reply: Methanol?