CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Carb problems.. Help please..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problems.. Help please..

I have been having trouble with my DS i've noticed a lot of bog in the upper gears(3-5).. It's like if i roost the throttle she starts coughin and cacklin then when i back off it and hit it again she does the same thing. She is all stock besides a pipe, jet kit, and K&N filter. A buddy of mine said he thinks the air/fuel ratio is off. Could that be what is bogging this beast down? And just so you know I am quite a large guy(640lbs and 6'4") I know she will be struggling pulling my hefty butt around but she has no problem in first and second and about maybe half way through third. If anyone can help me out I really need it.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

How are your plugs? Have you pulled them yet? Almost sounds like you might be a little rich on the top end... what is your jetting and complete setup? Maybe think about gearing down a tooth as well.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

No i haven't pulled the plugs yet.. Probly do that tomorrow. My setup is pretty much in my sig. The jets are the jets i got from alba. I can't remember what size they are exactly. I have thought about gearing but money is strapped right now. Other than pipe, jets, and k&n, i am all stock. Stock tires 18 in the rear and not sure in front. I didn't think to pull the plugs. Only makes sense to tell if i'm too rich.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I would pull the plugs and see whats up there... regearing is only about $20 for a new sprocket. To drop a tooth you don't even need a new chain. I think it would worth while for sure.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah.. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow and see whats up there and i'll post back tomorrow night. Now do you go down on the front or the rear? I'm not too good with gearing. Gets quite confusing.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Drop one tooth in the front.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Ok.. They're 16 stock right? At least thats what i think i heard. I think i need a new chain anyways. Damn thing is showing rust. I made sure to spray it with chain wax but it's still showing rust so it wouldn't hurt to think about a new chain i guess.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

After I rejetted my carb, it would bog down in 3rd too. I started doing some reserch, and this is what I found out.

I forgot to take off my air box lid..... not enough air getting to it.

Got a tach to adjust my carb. It was running very lean.

Then look at this site right here. And look at jetting and it will tell you how to dial your carb in.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

Well I took the airbox lid off and took her for a ride. Holy hell!!! She rips.. It's like I unleashed an inner beast that had been sleeping for a 1000 years. Well it may not be quite as noticeable as that but man. I've not been able to hit it hard in 3rd, 4th, and 5th so being able to hit it now it's damn near a whole new machine. Once again I thank you guys for your help and if there is anything i can do to help any of you all out just lemme know.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

one other thing to watch i also have the alba full exhaust and with the airbox lid off make sure to clean you're filter or atleast check it or otherwise you're ds will start to build up dirt and crap in your jets and will have to clean out you're carb.

Quick Reply: Carb problems.. Help please..