CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron 46 hv power jet ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron 46 hv power jet ?

I have been running my Lectron with very good success but now that the weather is warming and drying out some i may be a bit rich.I would like to hear what size power jets some of you are using and with what mods you are using them.The Lectron is so different from a typical carb in the way adjustments are made that i figured why not ask for some input.Where do i start to lean this carb out?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lectrons seem to be fairly flexible once they are dialed in. Do you know that you are running rich for sure?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Ron.I am pretty sure that i am running rich mainly because at WOT on the flats it is taking what to me seems too long to get into the upper RPM range.I will be going to Florence again this weekend to make sure before i make any changes.I usually like to run a little on the rich side so as long as i dont see a significant decrease in performance i will leave it as is.I have been running strong enough to irritate some banshees so i guess its not too far off.LOL.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I forget........are you running a tach on yours? If so, if you're at Florence on 4th of July make sure you have a bunch of Power jets. I don't think you will get very many similar builds that ride the Oregon coast. You have a really well built bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We should just dial it in. I didn't notice any problems on the hill when I rode it last, but the flats in 5th gear will tell us alot..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

tach is an awesome tuning tool! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It sure is![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

One glitch I ran into with a single powerjet setup like this on my 46mm Lectron was if I set up my metering rod and powerjet for optimal performance on the hill, I would run lean flat out in 5th gear after a half mile or so.

If I richened up the powerjet to solve that, I would have an upper midrange laziness to the revout on the hill. It wasent until I bought my 48mm with the dual powerjet that I had enough circuits to solve that problem. Having one powerjet sized just right for optimal hill racing, then a small second powerjet that only drew fuel at WOT at the top of the rpm band when the vacuum sig got high enough.

I thought that was interesting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

So it is starting to sound like the 46 is not a really good all round carb?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think it is. It still makes big power. The 48mm is just a better setup with an extra tuning circuit.

Even if the 48mm is better, the 46mm is still good. If you really want to race, the dual carb setup is much more condusive to a sand drag powerband. The Lectron single carbs, although they make big power and torque still have more of a recreational powerband, IMHO.

I worked with Klugs on a modified TM45 where it got bored to 47mm and the front side got a nice bell shape machined into it like the Lectron has. The AP was removed and a superjet was installed. It made an excellent alky carb, but even that got set aside for dual carbs on that motor. Dramatic top end gains were found over the single. Although we only got about 4 extra hp peak, we got about 15 extra hp at 10,000 rpm because the peak power held on for so long instead of dropping off. I didn't see a torque curve but I know what it did. The dual carbs hold the torque curve longer.

Sorry, just rambling now............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Dragon dont get me wrong i am very pleased with the performance of my 46HV i am just at the point of wanting to fine tune so to speak and the carb is the first place i will start.I may very well just leave my jetting as is but i at least wanted to get some input on what to do to properly lean this Lectron out if necessary.As DSNUT said my stock bore runs well but if it can be better with a litle tweaking im all for it.My offer still stands for you to take this stock bore up the hill and decide for yourself.I will be getting some lightened hubs this weekend so that i can run 8" wheels and buffed tires and that should make quite a difference for me.Does the spending ever end?????

Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I was not saying anything negative about the carb in general. I have rode a couple different 730s with the 48 Lectron, and really like it. I think that the Lectron is the carb that I want at some point (cash flow issues). Tuning is a challenge no matter what carb you have. It just made me a bit concerned when Nut stated that you are either tuned for hill shoots, or WOT. I want both. Does that mean I need the 48? Can the 46 be tuned for both, and if so is it difficult to keep there? Would I be better off spending that kind of money on the dual FCRs? The main reason that I have not done the carb yet, well I have not been able to answer all of my questions.

And please no one think this is the oppertunity to debate TM vs. Lectron vs. FCRs.......This is a thread on tuning.

BTW, I may just have to take you up on that offer. I am curious how the twist feels on the DS. If I like, that could fix my carb questions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lectron 46 hv power jet ?