CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

hmf jetting and fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmf jetting and fan problem

hello

my ds650 came stock with a 165 jet and i put a 175 jet in there when i got my hmf pipe but i dont know if i got the jetting right beacuse my bike feels kind of slower and it seems to get hot really quick but the light does not turn on.
when i take the ds out i go riding to gorman atv park in lancaster california but i do not know the elevation.

second question
i took my bike last year to ensenada mexico anyways i took it on the beach and got some water in the thermo switch and the fan stopped working and i started getting the death light but the fan still works i tested using the wire and it works perfect but i changed the thermo switch and it still doesnt turn on so what could the problem be, ive let the bike idle for about 10-15 minutes and it will not turn on so im out of idea and help would be greatly apreciated thanks.

jonathan

Old 06-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

A couple things... I run an HMF and I had it jetted pretty good with a 185 and no lid, with the needle on the 4th clip. I think you are probably a little lean. Have you messed with your needle at all. Try raising your needle clip to a higher position. If you get it all the way up and it is still not right then maybe move to a larger jet.

Gorman is about 2300 feet, so whatever jetting you are running at sea level should be close enough at Gorman.

My fan does not come on from just idle unless its over 100 degrees out, and even then it will take more than 15 miniutes at idle. If you knolw your fan is working and you have replaced your switch you should give it a good run and then see if it comes on. If you got the bike wet you may have bad oil pressure sensor... those are notorious for going bad when they have gotten wet. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

i have messed with the needle a bit i think i have it in the 4 or fifth right now its runnin pretty good but im scared that its running to lean beacuse its pulling really hard but i dont want to get on it too much beacuse im scared that ill break.

also where is the oil pressure sesor located i might go ahead and change that out too beacuse im planning on taking the bike out again and want it running good also anything i should check beacuse the last time i used the bike was last july on my birthday lol the bike has less that 15 hours thanks.

jonathan

Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Oil pressure sensor is.... well how can I explain this... its behind the cylinder, kind of on top of the trans, under where the pipe crosses over to the other side of the bike. It has a single wire going to it, and its pretty open.

Try jetting up a little, running a little rich won't hurt anything, however, running lean can.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

so should i move up to a 180 or 185 i dont really need it too fast beacuase this is my first quad and im still learning how to ride also how much is the oil pressure switch thanks.

jonathan

Old 06-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about how fast it will be...you'll want more soon enough. You need to make sure you are tuned properly. That can actually hurt your bike if it is not right. Fouled plugs if you are too rich and holes in pistons if you are lean. You should not be looking at jetting as a way to down tune your machine. Jetting should match the mods you have made... although you can reduce your performance by improper jetting, you can also also hurt your bike. Jet the bike to what it needs.

Oil pressure sensor is about 12 plus shipping.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

heres my mods

uni air filter lid on
175 jet
needle in the 4th position
hmf exhaust
everything else is bone stock

im going to try this tommorow im going to go to berts to pick up a 180 and 185 jet and a oil pressure switch if they have it took them 3 weeks to get my thermo switch, so how will i know when i got the jetting right.

ohh and i forgot to mention my bike is taking a while to start i have to give it gas to get here running and if i dont let it warm up and i give it gas it will bog and die i have to let it idle for a minute or so to make it run right

Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

To really see if you are jetted right you will need a couple sets of plugs. Get it set so that seat of the pants feels the best... play with all the settings until you get one that feels good. Then test each carb circuit by holding the throttle at either 1/3 throttle, 3/4 throttle, or WOT for a couple minutes each... Shut the engine off when you are at the RMP you want to test by flipping the red kill switch to the off position... don't let the engine rev back down to idle. Pull the plugs and check for color. Grey/white = lean... black/wet = rich.... you want light brown right around the electrode.

Your starting problem is the valves. They need to be adjusted.... at least thats what it sounds like to me. Do a search on this site there is a good write up if you want to tackle it yourself. I took mine to the dealer, $150 was worth it for me. Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

He may also need to open up his air idle mixture a quarter turn. He's probably running a little lean in the idle circuit.
Does it pop a little bit after you let the throttle off? If this is the case, do the quarter turn.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

Just to put in my 2 cents here........my fan wasn't working either. I tested the fan by bypassing the thermal switch and it work once. Tried it again and it didn't work. Tested the thermal switch, and that was ok. What happends is that dc motars after a while they tend to build up a resistance spot to where the magnets will repel against each other, creating a dead spot. I installed a bypass switch to where I just flip the switch, and see if it is turning. If not, then I have to take like a pen or something and turn the fan while the switch is engaged and the fan will keep going.

Quick Reply: hmf jetting and fan problem