CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

pipes glowing red

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipes glowing red

I just changed my thermostat and the pipes still glow red and the coolant boils over HELP

Old 07-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

Is your fan working?

Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

I have had the same prob in the past what I have on my 2001 ds is a seperate switch for the fan so that I can also turn it on physically and itll also work by the quad itself. Because I have heard that the ds650's from the first few years or so had a prob with their cooling. So you might want to tap into the wires and mount a switch to turn on the fan by yourself.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

If your pipes are glowing there may be an issue with jetting. Did you add a pipe or something performance and not rejet?

Old 07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

rf I understand what your trying to say with a new setup and not upgrading the jets for the exhaust but how would that make the radiator start to bubble up and start the flow the antifreeze out unless there was something wrong with the radiator or even the cap. Bootleg try installing that switch for the fan first then try something else and then get back to us.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am just a little familiar with the parts.But how do I know if the fan is working should it make a noise.I had a dealer put on new cylinders shouldn't he have rejetted it.I put the new thermostat iin myself should i have done anything else?Thanks again Kelly

Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

well if you aren't sure if the fan is working let it run for a little while and if its running yu won't hear it but look and check to see if the blade is turning on the fan and then when you turn it off and let it sit the fan should turn on. I don't think jetting would have to do anything witht the colling so don't worry about that right now but I may be wrong. The guy that had it before me installed the fan switch to manually do it it looks like her tapped into one of the wires for the cooling and tied it into the battery and I mounted the switch on the plastics on the left side if you are sitting on it. Are you sure you installed the thermostat correctly?

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

it's getting hot is why it is boiling over. Even with no fan the pipes should not glow. The engines of the past were air cooled and the pipes shouldnt glow on them, but the pipes would if the engine was runnin lean. My ds650 runs for quite awhile before the fan ever kicks on, and it usually never does when I'm riding it, until I get into the trails, then it will turn on because the air flow through the radiator is low. You should be able to feel the fan turn on because it will blow the hot air towards you, just put your hand down by there to feel. If your moving around at speeds more than 15-20 mph the fan prolly won't come on unless it is really hot out. But even at that the pipes should NOT glow red, that is a sign of lean, or hot if you trail riding hard at low speeds and the radiator is not getting enough air and the fan is'nt working. Need to do a plug check before the engine gets real hot to see if your lean or not.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put the thermostat in the same way the old one came out.It really scares me riding it like that i live up in canada and it is cool nights when we go out and still in forth or fifth gear with the wind and all it still is red just like a branding iron.ugggg

Old 07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

There are two reasons your pipes would glow. The first is being rich on fuel. In this condition you are putting too much fuel into your bike and the excess is getting into the pipe and ignitining there, causing the pipes to glow. If you did not play with your jetting after you put on a pipe you are definetly not rich. You would have needed to bump up several jet sizes to achieve this.

The other condition is being lean. If the engine does not get enough fuel it will begin to run very hot. This is why your radiator is boiling over. The bike cannot cool it normally because the engine is far out of it cooling capicity. THIS IS ALSO DANGEROUS. You can be lean enought that it will damage you machine. You are already seeing your radiator boil over, and that means you are really hot. That does not normally happen. The DS has a very solid cooling system, and aside from the fan coming on you should not be getting that far out of its range.

Glowing headers are not normal. Check into the proper jetting for your setup, I think it will solve your problems.

Quick Reply: pipes glowing red