CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A Must Do Mod FIX HELP for Otty "Hump shifter"..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must Do Mod FIX HELP for Otty "Hump shifter"..

If any of you got as frustrated as I did when, shifting between gears & reverse when rock crawling… A MUST DO MOD..is to drain the transmission gear oil, and put in Amsoil “Severe Duty” 75-90 wt synthetic … I’m amazed at the difference it makes…almost eliminates the notorious Otty hump, rock & roll to get into a different gear… lol

The drain plug for the transmission is (When sitting on the machine) on the Right side ,just below your right foot..the drain takes a 13mm wrench and comes from the engine “Horizontally”..( The engine oil plug is nearby, but comes out of the engine vertically)..The filler plug is a white colored plastic one about 8 inches toward the rear of the drain plug..and up a few inches..You will have to remove only the small black plastic side cover shield for this… see page 82 of your service manual..It refills with 14 oz of fluid…..I’m also changing the front and rear case gear to amsoil…Good Luck..Later..
;

Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default A Must Do Mod FIX HELP for Otty "Hump shifter"..

How much time have you put on since switching fluids? This is good info. as this was my #1 complaint with my Outlander and was a real hassle if someone else rode it.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: raidermike67
How much time have you put on since switching fluids? This is good info. as this was my #1 complaint with my Outlander and was a real hassle if someone else rode it.
…Time wise..The first time you do this would take maybe 30 minutes or less. To refill the fluid I used a ‘Kitchen turkey baster”..This helps prevent fluid running over your case..There was a lot of particals and sludge, around the magnetic oil plug ..Normal I guess after ‘Break in”..Another tip is to..drive your machine a mile or so BEFORE you drain it..This puts any metallic particles in suspension, so ithe fluid will drain out better…again..I was totally amazed at the difference and ease of shifting it makes..I plan on doing this once every year here on..Oil is cheap…Now on to the exhaust heat matter….lol....later..

Old 07-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

i did the same thing and for the most part it went away except I use Amsoil 75w 140 Severe gear for it.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

So the gear oil will let you shift gears without rocking the bike?

Old 07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: travelor
So the gear oil will let you shift gears without rocking the bike?
..The change will Absolutely Amaze you...its that much better......DO IT NOW...!

..No more "cat calls" from your buddys..as it looks like your humping your ATV, trying to get that gear changed.....lol

I too thought about the 75-140wt..but might be too heavy for winter use...still might change it to 75-140 wt & change it this fall again..oil is cheap..

Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

And I thought I was the only one doing this humping. Thanks ,I will try it.