CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

big girl stopped and no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big girl stopped and no power

well you're in the right place to ask because these guys really know what they're talking about on the bomb side

Old 07-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum Yettieman!

My $.02... I say ground wire too.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok here the report my battery was stuffed it actually poped a cell in the battery and i have a new battery but know the fuse blows as soon as i put the key on iam going to chase a bare wire but could it be anything alse
cheers matt

Old 07-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok a bit more info
i have power to the rectifier with a pulse
constant power to the coils but no pulse power when its cranking
kill switch looks good test ok
tacho stuck not reseting
rolling over easy but no spark

Old 07-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I lost ground, mine would turn over with the kill switch off, but not on. Once I fixed the ground wire, it fired right up. The obvious signs are the kill switch, or kill switch circuit. But check everything everyone already mentioned, starting with the fuse connections, and the ground.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if you were able to find out the info in your last post above, you must have figured out what was blowing the main fuse as soon as key was turned on, what was it?

after confirming ground connection at frame and all other connections, try to see if it will fire with new plugs, it is possible plugs badly fouled from week fire before you ultimately died and started pushing the 5k. 4-strokes rarely foul plugs except in cases of ignition problems or bad fuel, both of which I've had happen. you can try just replacing the outside plug to test since its easiest, the DS will run fine on one plug, I have ran a whole day before with one plug inadvertently unplugged. this is a quick easy thing to rule out, one time I spent 2 hours troubleshooting ignition problem only to finally realize my plugs were fouled to the point of useless (from a poor bottom of the bulk tank watered down can of gas, talk about pissed!).

what year is bike, how old was battery?

Old 07-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

gday hightower
fuse was blowing because of a bad earth i fixed that and than i had no spark i have taken it to a mate to have a look as i am electrical dead minded and he has chased down to a bad cdi he pulled it apart and the whole lot was broken glass and burnt mainboard so i need a new cdi

what is a half decent brand that doesnot cost the earth are pro coms as bad as everyone says they are or is there a brand in the procom that is better than the others ie rev max, white brother etc

i would love a vortec but out of my price range for now unless one of you guys have a spare one floating around your toolbox that you will let me have cheap

cheers to all
matt

Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Pro Rider

Chapperal parts is selling big gun cdi for 91or 92 in the mags try them.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

cool Yettiemann, you've got her figured out. bad ground has caused cdi's to fry, while riding with a friend of mine his bike died, traced it to a loose ground where it bolts to the frame, tightened it, still no start, towed him 3 miles to camp, replced CDI with spare we had, good to go. it was a RWR cdi that fried from the bad ground. he called RWR, they sent him a new one free, no questions asked. SO that says alot for their serive. It is the only time I have ever heard of a RWR cdi toasting, and it was no fault of the integrity.

not sure but procom may make the cdi's for alot of the other names, I don't know who makes the W.B. or BigGun, but it may be them since they all have simliar price.

Check Ebay, lots of used stock CDI's come on there for sale frequently, as well as others that are new from a few vendors.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

well thats good to hear you figured it out when my ground went my cdi also went and wound up paying 400 for a stocker if I had known that before I ordered it I woulda gotten a vortex.

Quick Reply: big girl stopped and no power