CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Guys running alcohol, need your input...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys running alcohol, need your input...

I just bought MrMeaners DS and it is running on alcohol (14:1 with TM45) and I wanted to get your guy's experience.

-What brand do you buy? The only place I found was a VP Fuels dealer.
-How much do you pay? This place is $30 for a 5 gallon pail.
-Do you run top end lube? Why? What brand?
-Do you purge your carb with gas? How often? What is your procedure? Why?
-How long have you been running it in your current build? Any problems?

Thanks,
Josh

Old 07-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

call around some more in the city, look for chemical/solvent dealers in the yeller pages rather than fuel, If found a place in Indy that pumps what you need from a 55 gallon drum into your container for around $2 a gallon for methanol, that was a year ago when they quoted me that over the phone, might be more now, I never did get around to buying any or running it.

hope you have it tweeked and figured out by DS days, I wanna take it for a spin!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightowerhope you have it tweeked and figured out by DS days, I wanna take it for a spin!
What are you talking about??? I thought you were gonna be doing my tuning at DS Days, haha

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to get it at a race shop or if you have a drag strip around you. I pay around 2.50 a gallon. You can go to Klotz on the web and get a listing of dealers near you. Klotz makes uplon topend lube or my local race shop has it. I sometimes and a little Benol 2 stroke mix but not much. I use and 2 caps to 5 gallons. Ive never had any problems but I perg when it sits for a long time. Just turn off the gas when you finish riding and let it run out of gas. You dont need any tuning on that bike. Good luck and give them hell on the hill

Old 07-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

You will have no problems with running Alchole on that bike. That motor with Alchole will last for a long time. That bike was maintained very well!
HAVE FUN !

Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of alky Drakester you got that beast back yet?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Got it back Sunday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

You should be able to get a 55 gal. drum under $150 in any town that has a bulk fuel delivery station, it is available at most tracks also, think I paid $135 for my last drum, it does not have to say VP, all the same stuff, purge if it sits more than 2 or 3 hours, alcohol eats on everything, especially cylinder wall. Uplon top lube from Klotz is one of the best, 1qt. to 55gal.
been running alky 3 or 4 years, no problem if you follow the rules, if you get lazy on purging though, you will regret it, my 2 cents.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

See thats what I mean, everyones opinion varies and they feel strongly about it. So XR650Warrior what happens if you don't purge if it sits longer than 3 hours? Have you had any personal experience where it caused problems? AND what kind of problems?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jmann they sell methanol at David Allen Racing right next to the Silver Lake Dunes entrance also.

Sounds like that bike is ready to go, I just meant get all your stuff straight for the methanol bike - oh yes we can play with your gas carb no problem, happy to! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Guys running alcohol, need your input...