CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Desert Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desert Racing

Hey guys! I know a huge majority in here drag/dune but does anyone race desert on their DS? I race desert enduros/bajas out here and am looking for some setup help for the DS. I am coming off a 574 Predator that I had luck with last season. Cracked the head and decided to roll with a new left over 04 DS. I am getting Ohlins for the suspension. Looking for more on what people are running for motor set ups. I spend a lot of time in the upper RPM's, reason why the Pred head cracked. I dont want a drag motor. Any insight as to what other desert racers are running would be appreciated, as I am the only one racing a DS here, so I have no one to compare with.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desert Racing

I dont desert race but I would say a filter upgrade and CDI for sure. Maybe a carb as well and a vented gas cap. The only other thing would be some aftermarket bars. The stocks have a weird bend to me

Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Desert Racing

The guys that have run the Baja and Dakar races run nearly stock DS's... other than shocks and a pipe I don't think you really need anything... but I would agree with Meaner's thought of raising the RPM's a little. If you really want to get crazy maybe look into the spring under bucket valve springs with some high reving cams to take advantage of the rev box... and if your going to do that you might as well do a high comp piston. I really think though, that you could race it just fine with a pipe and a K&N.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Default Desert Racing

Thanks MrMeaner. I've got the IMS tank, and I am gonna through my FLEXX bars on. I am looking at either the Top Gun or Big Gun for pipe, ported intake, not sure what carb, most likely a 12:1 piston, Precision Racing Stabilizer, and the Vortex box. I will see how this works and then look at cams and head work.

Chris

Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Default Desert Racing

Thanks FatHolly. Stock just will not due power wise with all the 450s that race as well. Last season I was the only one not on a 450, and this year I will be on the DS. The only bad thing is the start of the enduros is on the local mx track. Not sure how the big DS will do in that part. Wasnt a big problem with the Pred.

Chris

Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Desert Racing

You might want to try a EFI Turbo system from KMS Performance in Phoenix, Az. I know a lot of South African Desert/grassland racers got the system and some American desert racers as well.

I only use mine for the dunes but it works great. I only go to 5lbs of boost to keep engine dependability and get 72HP with 57Ftpds of torque. I increased my gearing and run 22" paddles. In the sand I can go from 15mph to 55mph in 3rd gear with no strain on the motor. There is a lot of torque.

You will want to put quality shocks on the DS for serious desert racing. I plan on getting Elkas for my DS and Outlander very soon. (just sold something so I got the $$$)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Default Desert Racing

Thanks azsandrider! I have been debating over the KMS EFI. Not so into the turbo. I just dont want to have to buy and carry extra O2 sensors, and I will be limited to compression with the O2 sensor (no leaded race fuels, only option I have here).

I am going with Ohlins for suspension. Dont care for Elka, for my own personal reasons.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Desert Racing

If you ride at or near the same elevation all thetime and use the same fuel, you can get away with no O2 sensor as the EFI controller can be programmed at a default level and performs well.

I did that to mine as the leaded AvGas I use burns out the O2 sensor after a while. I have never noticed a difference as I only ride my Turbo DS at the dunes in California and the controller is programmed for it.

If you kept your boost low, you could run premium unleaded and not have an O2 issue. I run AvGas for other advantages, like: shelf life, consistent specific gravity & octane levels, and less chance of moisture in the gas, as the airport has better quality control due to the fact that people's lives ACTUALLY rely upon the AvGas's performance. Plus its cheaper then race fuel.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Desert Racing

until this last year I was a huge desert rider. The bike is slowly going more toward a full duner though.... but anyway. Shocks will be key for you, and the rear probably not so much as the front depending on your size. The rear actually does a pretty good job in the desert. I would definitely change to different filter, change to a RWR cdi, and then possibly some HPR3 cams. With the HPR 3 cams, I'm not sure that I would spend the money to go to shim under buckets at this point, but that is as high as I would go with the stock buckets. You'll enjoy the HPR 3 cams.... Not sure that I would change out the carb just yet, and if I did, I'd probably be leaning towards a TM with high towers mods. The lectron would be wonderful on the long open straights, by you might be a little happier with the TM in the super tight stuff. If you racing is anything like mine, you'll appreciate all the control you can get around the cliffs and shear drops of the desert.

A steering stabalize should be at the top of your list after front shocks, and lighting would be a real good idea as well. I'd also look into some nerf bars for the safty of things. Yes, there is a lot of add-ons, but the entire package is pretty rock solid as it is. Good luck and be safe.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Default Desert Racing

Thanks for the info guys! I will most likely steer away from EFI and the turbo. Although having the EFI set up without the O2 sensor is nice.

I have the Precision Racing stabiliser coming.

I was/am searching and reading up on the TM45 and Hightower workings. Like I said the bajas start on the MX track (basically 1 lap on the MX) and then head out into the desert. There is quit a bit of technical riding so that has me looking into the TM over the Lectron. Lighting is not a real concern, since all the bajas/enduros are done in the daylight.

Thanks for the help/info.

Chris

Quick Reply: Desert Racing